Reader reviews and comments on Amsterdam, plus links to write your own review.

Amsterdam

by Ian McEwan

Amsterdam

Dec 1998, 193 pages
    Nov 1999, 193 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Amsterdam

Ewa (01/02/05)

I'm a Polish student and had to read that book for an English competition. I've chosen it mainly because it had so many good opinions and was rewarded a prize. Contrary to what the 'pundits' may say, I found that book a bit boring. And that Amsterdam-thing I mean the fact that one couldn't connect the title with the plot till the last chapter wasn't really a good idea. But after all, I've read it in less than one day so it wasn't that bad.
jpj (07/14/03)

For some reason I can say I've read everything by McEwan and this book, although it won a Booker Prize, is not his best. At least to me. The ending is down right stupid and loses the entire tone of the novel. And if McEwan meant it that way, than he kind of insults his readers. The Child in Time, Black Dogs, The Comfort of Strangers, Atonement, all of them are better than this one. Still, he writes well, and I'll read everything he writes...perhaps in Amsterdam I missed something? p.s. don't read this book if you're looking to get a feel of Amsterdam...
kansas_bookie (12/06/02)

Most recently I re-read this novel for a class discussion...and predictably I found further meaning in the characters.

First time through, however, it was a bit unsettling, stretched myself frequently to attach substance to twists and turns.

Leaping that far down into the emptiness of two unfortunate, politically driven characters was a learning experience.

I don't doubt the validity and truth behind McEwan's purpose, I just didn't realize at first how reptillian it could get. :)
Ruthanne (09/22/02)

A great manipulator: Ian McEwan is a brilliant author but this book almost put me off reading his more recent and masterful work, ATONEMENT.

The plot is dark and the characters not well drawn in AMSTERDAM. It begins with a funeral and two men who are star-crossed lovers of the dead woman. It ends with the two men sealing their fates together in the city of Amsterdam...to say more would give the plot away.

I could not relate to either male character or to their angst over a lost love. The characters lacked the type of emotion one would expect them to feel and did not inspire any kind of empathy.

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: