Reader reviews and comments on Amsterdam, plus links to write your own review.

Amsterdam

by Ian McEwan

Amsterdam by Ian McEwan X
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan

Dec 1998, 193 pages
    Nov 1999, 193 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Amsterdam

jpj

For some reason I can say I've read everything by McEwan and this book, although it won a Booker Prize, is not his best. At least to me. The ending is down right stupid and loses the entire tone of the novel. And if McEwan meant it that way, than he kind of insults his readers. The Child in Time, Black Dogs, The Comfort of Strangers, Atonement, all of them are better than this one. Still, he writes well, and I'll read everything he writes...perhaps in Amsterdam I missed something? p.s. don't read this book if you're looking to get a feel of Amsterdam...
Ewa

I'm a Polish student and had to read that book for an English competition. I've chosen it mainly because it had so many good opinions and was rewarded a prize. Contrary to what the 'pundits' may say, I found that book a bit boring. And that Amsterdam-thing I mean the fact that one couldn't connect the title with the plot till the last chapter wasn't really a good idea. But after all, I've read it in less than one day so it wasn't that bad.
kansas_bookie

Most recently I re-read this novel for a class discussion...and predictably I found further meaning in the characters.

First time through, however, it was a bit unsettling, stretched myself frequently to attach substance to twists and turns.

Leaping that far down into the emptiness of two unfortunate, politically driven characters was a learning experience.

I don't doubt the validity and truth behind McEwan's purpose, I just didn't realize at first how reptillian it could get. :)
Ruthanne

A great manipulator: Ian McEwan is a brilliant author but this book almost put me off reading his more recent and masterful work, ATONEMENT.

The plot is dark and the characters not well drawn in AMSTERDAM. It begins with a funeral and two men who are star-crossed lovers of the dead woman. It ends with the two men sealing their fates together in the city of Amsterdam...to say more would give the plot away.

I could not relate to either male character or to their angst over a lost love. The characters lacked the type of emotion one would expect them to feel and did not inspire any kind of empathy.

• Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!