Reader reviews and comments on The Testament, plus links to write your own review.

The Testament

by John Grisham

The Testament by John Grisham X
The Testament by John Grisham

Feb 1999, 435 pages
    Jan 2000, 544 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Testament

Power Reviewer Beckyh (06/23/15)

Not your usual Grisham - in a good way
I started this book thinking “oh no, another bad will, lawyers fighting it out” book. I was wrong. This book is really a character study of two people: one selfless, powerless, kind, gentle, loving, astute; the other selfish, brutish, drunk, egotistical, powerful. It is also about a land – beautiful, treacherous, unforgiving, abundant. When these forces meet, the story begins.

Grisham is a great storyteller; his characters are real, the situations are plausible, the tension is unending. THE TESTAMENT has a clear message, told clearly in a powerful way. This is a story that will stay with you. I’m glad I read it and you will be too.
5 of 5 stars
alexander young (11/23/11)

Not Your Usual Grisham
Too heavy on sleep-inducing South American flora-fauna and geography lessons. Really doesn't rate with what we've come to expect from Grisham. I wound up skimming the last ten-or-so chapters.
Also, the novel is excessively heavy on matters of what we generally describe as faith. He seems to assume, in the way he tells the yarn, that the reader shares what I take to be his own religious beliefs.
Actually, I might better have entitled this review, "Grisham Finds Jesus in Jungles of Brazil."
Palesa Mpuru (10/08/09)

Thrilling
The book is excellent. Though we turn to depend on wealth and power, but self spiritual healing is important to overcome your life's tribulations; as we go through Nate's escapade. An emotional ending...[spoiler removed- ed]
Anand (01/21/05)

Takes you to the interior jungles & flooding rivers of The Pantanal. Those will stay afresh ever in my eyes. Good Work
luc (01/12/05)

You are the man. You can do it. I hope you make a book about fooball, not like the Bleacher you made.
Kelly (12/22/04)

Great, great BOOK!!!!!!
Very interesting!
Michael B (11/13/04)

It moved fairly well with a good ending. Not what I had expected from Grisham. I expected more courtroom drama than would typically be in his books. Worth a read though.
Shebby (04/05/04)

I was never a book reader (never found the time). I had to read The Testament for my English final. What a great book! I am now a John Grisham book reader!

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund