Reader reviews and comments on The Testament, plus links to write your own review.

The Testament

by John Grisham

The Testament by John Grisham

Feb 1999, 435 pages
    Jan 2000, 544 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Testament

Power Reviewer Beckyh (06/23/15)

Not your usual Grisham - in a good way
I started this book thinking “oh no, another bad will, lawyers fighting it out” book. I was wrong. This book is really a character study of two people: one selfless, powerless, kind, gentle, loving, astute; the other selfish, brutish, drunk, egotistical, powerful. It is also about a land – beautiful, treacherous, unforgiving, abundant. When these forces meet, the story begins.

Grisham is a great storyteller; his characters are real, the situations are plausible, the tension is unending. THE TESTAMENT has a clear message, told clearly in a powerful way. This is a story that will stay with you. I’m glad I read it and you will be too.
5 of 5 stars
alexander young (11/23/11)

Not Your Usual Grisham
Too heavy on sleep-inducing South American flora-fauna and geography lessons. Really doesn't rate with what we've come to expect from Grisham. I wound up skimming the last ten-or-so chapters.
Also, the novel is excessively heavy on matters of what we generally describe as faith. He seems to assume, in the way he tells the yarn, that the reader shares what I take to be his own religious beliefs.
Actually, I might better have entitled this review, "Grisham Finds Jesus in Jungles of Brazil."
Palesa Mpuru (10/08/09)

Thrilling
The book is excellent. Though we turn to depend on wealth and power, but self spiritual healing is important to overcome your life's tribulations; as we go through Nate's escapade. An emotional ending...[spoiler removed- ed]
Anand (01/21/05)

Takes you to the interior jungles & flooding rivers of The Pantanal. Those will stay afresh ever in my eyes. Good Work
luc (01/12/05)

You are the man. You can do it. I hope you make a book about fooball, not like the Bleacher you made.
Kelly (12/22/04)

Great, great BOOK!!!!!!
Very interesting!
Michael B (11/13/04)

It moved fairly well with a good ending. Not what I had expected from Grisham. I expected more courtroom drama than would typically be in his books. Worth a read though.
Shebby (04/05/04)

I was never a book reader (never found the time). I had to read The Testament for my English final. What a great book! I am now a John Grisham book reader!

All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: Strangers in Their Own Land
    Strangers in Their Own Land
    by Arlie Russell Hochschild
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    After receiving a letter from his childhood friend's father, Aaron Falk, a Melbourne police officer ...

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Home Sweet Home
    by April Smith

From the widely praised author of the FBI Special Agent Ana Grey series, a stunning novel set in the McCarthy era.

If there is anything more dangerous to the life of the mind than having no independent commitment to ideas...

K Your F C