Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs of a Geisha, plus links to write your own review.

by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden X
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Sep 1997, 434 pages
    Jan 1999, 434 pages

There are currently 104 reader reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

Marg Riel

masterpiece
Memoirs of A Geisha can be described as one word; "masterpiece." Each detail creates an unexplainable imagine and you can envision yourself in the story. The author tells her story willingly and purposely allows the reader to put themselves in her shoes as she tells you about each step of her journey through life. This book is has some advanced concepts at times, but I believe should be recommended to people of all ages both men and women. A certain respect can be gained from this book.
Linda Gear

Memoirs of a Geisha
I love this book. It will always be near me. I have read it numerous times and never tire of it.
I read other books, but this one is always nearby.(I also have the movie).
I love the dialogue of Sayuri her raw story of being cruelly taken from her home, and her deliverance from her fate.
Her faith and her strength to keep fighting for her wish, even though many times it certainly looked like she was doomed.
The words between her and the Chairman at the end of the book are so unbelievably sweet and real. I love these characters.
This book comforts me every time I pick it up.
Many thanks to Arthur Goldman for your wonderful work, you have won my heart with this eloquent story, and have kept me sane.
sayuri

moag
Nice! Captivating!
Gene R. Hyde

Memoirs of a Geisha
I thought it was an elegantly written book, not without controversy, about a culture I’m truly fascinated with. I could vividly see myself in a Japanese Tea House, and all of the exquisite richness of simplicity, obsessive love, and pain, while reading this book. The immense detail in which the author researched and quality of his prose made this novel immensely enjoyable.
Corey

Very diifferent
This has to got to be one of the best books I have ever read. I love the author's style of writing it gave me the impression that this was written by the girl who lived through all of this, that's how much detail to Japanese culture there is. I would recommend this book to anyone really, although I'm sure only a select few of kids would enjoy it.
Kristina-Marie

This book was beyond amazing
I am a fussy reader. Really, really fussy. If a book doesn't have me entertained within the first three sentences then that's it and I am gone. However there came to be a difference with 'Memoirs of a Geisha', it has a quality of elegance in it's style of writing and it's grasp of Japanese culture. This book was beyond amazing, and truly the best fiction novel I have ever read in my life. Worth every word to read and leaves you smiling when it's finished. The memoirs of Sayuri and her journey are purely fascinating and will leave you with a secret love for anything to do with kimono's, tea houses or Japanese theater :)
Pulkit Sahota

The best book I've read yet!
I am a 17 years old student and this book was recommended to me by a friend. I found it to be the best book I've read yet. The writing style of Arthur Golden is so fascinating that I read this book for straight 4 hours. In a nutshell, a MUST read book with an everlasting impression.
Margot

Memoirs of a Geisha
This book is THE best book I have ever read. I have read a lot of books, and this is by far, is the best. It is a long one. That's for sure. But it's worth it. It is truly a book that refuses to stay shut. It's like if your eyes are glued to it, because you cannot let go. I have read it once already, but I am on it a second time. That's how good it is. I have recommended it to five of my friends and they have all loved it. This book is really something that will make you fall in love with the Japanese culture. This book has romance...humor...drama all of these elements make it truly an amazing book. It is a Cinderella story that has taken on a Japanese twist. And also, it's educational if you think about it. So get a copy, and embark on your adventure back to life in 1920s Japan! :)

• Book Jacket: Vita Nostra
    A Spark of Light
    by Jodi Picoult

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

The Kinship of Secrets