Reader reviews and comments on Cold Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

by Charles Frazier

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier X
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Jun 1997, 356 pages
    Aug 1998, 449 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Cold Mountain

mandi (01/03/11)

awsome
This book is great! I am reading it for English class and it is the first book so far that I really like! The plot it great kinda confusing but if you keep reading it all falls into place. The book is great I can't wait to see the movie!
Brooke (11/01/10)

Cold Mountain
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book was just incredible! It is so detailed and has a great storyline!
annoula (10/16/08)

Cold Mountain
it didn't amaze me. to me it was boring, it describes so much to a point that it makes me wanna fall asleep. bottom line: didn't like it.
Puget Sound Reader (11/20/07)

Pause, Reflect and Exhale
I did not want this book to end. It has been deeply satisfying, with moments of awe. The author has an ability to paint you into the scene, and the experience, with ease. Never forced, never a wasted word. Every image is instantly clear in my minds eye, even though it is absolutely foreign to anything I have known.
I have read this book aloud to my partner over a period of months and delighted in speaking old words new to my tongue. We find ourselves frequently retracing our steps simply to hear the beauty of the writing.
My most dearly loved book, To Kill A Mockingbird, has nearly been replaced. Cold Mountain will have to stand up to several more readings to take the title, if it can.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has a love of powerful imagery and language.
John (01/05/05)

Wounderful piece of American literature.
iris (11/26/04)

I loved reading "Cold Mountain". the writer has captured the pure essence of mountain living in the civil war era. Some of his vocabulary stirred my imagination. One must haved lived in the "Cold Mountain" area and had a rich source of family background to know some of the wonderful phrases that the writer uses. Thank you Charles Fraizer for the book. Thank you for stirring memories of the mountains of Smokey Mountains and bringing those memories of the past to the present.
Please continue to bring us those books from that era
Greg (07/04/04)

I found "Cold Mountain" at the airport in Caracas, Venezuela during a stopover. I had run out of books to read (the only way I can get through a long flight) and it was one of only 2 books in English so I didn't have much choice. I had never heard about it so I was fortunate to be able to absorb it word by word with no idea what it was about or what was coming. I've read it again since, and just saw the movie.
This book is beautiful, emotive, tragic , heartbreaking and hopeful. Frazier's writing is as poetic as prose can be and he makes you feel exactly what he wants you to feel without pressing the point or giving you what you might want. I don't think I've ever read a book that gave me emotional pain like this. Many people don't like the ending because it hurts, it really hurts. But it makes you feel human.
This book is a rare treat and literature at it's finest- it will become a part of you .
lorenvera (07/04/04)

awesome well told tale. evokes scenes of the south not usually shown.

• Book Jacket: Only Child