Reader reviews and comments on City of God, plus links to write your own review.

City of God

Jan 2001, 320 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for City of God

Tim Roschel

City of God
You have to admire the ambition of any writer willing to blend the histories, religions, philosophies, and sciences of the twentieth century in a single, short novel.

Doctorow tackles these "big questions" with his usual assortment of fictional and non-fictional characters, together giving the reader, not just the ponderings of a great American writer, but an insight into the writing process as well.

City of God is a wonderful work of art, experienced through many literary angles.
Geza Csikasz

Beyond description. Each page an exciting journey into ideas, people, events and places. Any person living today who is sensitive to the finest details and impressions of modern life, yet still intrigued by the eternal mysteries of man, religion and science - any such person will find Doctorow a most welcome companion. If you are looking for a good story, you´ve got it here. If you are looking for texts that don´t care whether they are poetry or prose, you´ve got it here. The only people who shouldn´t read this book are those that don´t want their values and/or ideas to be challenged.

All the rest of us should read it.
dawn

my opinon about city of god
I am a Chinese, so I am not familiar with the novel in english version and I read the translation work in most of time. I can not understand postmordernism work.This work seems to be easier than others.I can find many shades which happen in reality.It refers to a lot of knowlege about American Jewish.
It still needs a long way to understanding this book because of lack of background
Tyler

Do Not Read!
Terrible. Doctorow makes the novel near impossible to follow by referring to every character in the first tense and not properly introducing them in the novel. Confusion and lack of proper writing style make City of God a terrible read!

• Book Jacket: Future Home of the Living God
  • Book Jacket: Never Coming Back
    Never Coming Back
    by Alison McGhee

If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Strangers in Budapest
    by Jessica Keener

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world...

E Dog H I D