Reader reviews and comments on City of God, plus links to write your own review.

City of God

by E.L. Doctorow

City of God by E.L. Doctorow

Feb 2000, 320 pages
    Jan 2001, 320 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for City of God

Tyler (08/06/12)

Do Not Read!
Terrible. Doctorow makes the novel near impossible to follow by referring to every character in the first tense and not properly introducing them in the novel. Confusion and lack of proper writing style make City of God a terrible read!
Tim Roschel (01/21/08)

City of God
You have to admire the ambition of any writer willing to blend the histories, religions, philosophies, and sciences of the twentieth century in a single, short novel.

Doctorow tackles these "big questions" with his usual assortment of fictional and non-fictional characters, together giving the reader, not just the ponderings of a great American writer, but an insight into the writing process as well.

City of God is a wonderful work of art, experienced through many literary angles.
dawn (09/13/06)

my opinon about city of god
I am a Chinese, so I am not familiar with the novel in english version and I read the translation work in most of time. I can not understand postmordernism work.This work seems to be easier than others.I can find many shades which happen in reality.It refers to a lot of knowlege about American Jewish.
It still needs a long way to understanding this book because of lack of background
Geza Csikasz (04/10/04)

Beyond description. Each page an exciting journey into ideas, people, events and places. Any person living today who is sensitive to the finest details and impressions of modern life, yet still intrigued by the eternal mysteries of man, religion and science - any such person will find Doctorow a most welcome companion. If you are looking for a good story, you´ve got it here. If you are looking for texts that don´t care whether they are poetry or prose, you´ve got it here. The only people who shouldn´t read this book are those that don´t want their values and/or ideas to be challenged.

All the rest of us should read it.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

More Anagrams