Reader reviews and comments on The Lion Seeker, plus links to write your own review.

The Lion Seeker

Sep 2014, 576 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Lion Seeker

Pamela Joy

Long read, but worth the time
The Lion Seeker has a very good storyline and is an intricate weave of history, character development and cultural differences in South Africa as World War II looms on the horizon of one Jewish family. Certainly an excellent work for a first-time novelist, the book is a rich blend of Shindler's List, The Godfather, and Sophie's Choice.
Occasionally difficult vernacular at time slows the reading flow at times, but it also adds to the development of place and time for this serious novel. The main character is not always likable - but none of them are, really.
Halfway through the book, the description of and meaning behind Lion's Rock was so well written, I thought it would have been worth the read if it had ended there. While remaining important, and revisited later, things were actually just getting started at that point.
And it was certainly worth the time invested to finish the book.
Melinda

The Lion Seeker
I could not put this book down. I thoroughly enjoyed it from the first page to the ending. I loved how the author weaved very difficult time periods of history together, to unveil truths and half-truths that shaped not only the protagonist and her family and her children, but generations of families. From early South Africa, to WWII, Israel (before and after WWII) to Lithuania before and after WWII. Most importantly, hope and love prevails for the protagonist's family, despite their many travails and traumas. I would read this book again, just to make sure I didn't miss a little detail, for the history it gives is educational, as well as the hope that it springs, even in the most wretched of us. A great novel, my favorite since joining BookBrowse.
N

I wanted more
As an American reader of South African writing, I wanted more. More detail, depth, and description. At times, the book knocked it out of the park and met these expectations and other times fell short.

The Voyage of the Damned

• Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund