Reader reviews and comments on We Need New Names, plus links to write your own review.

by NoViolet Bulawayo

May 2013, 304 pages
    May 2014, 320 pages

Naomi Benaron

There is 1 reader review for We Need New Names

Power Reviewer Mal (10/01/13)

We Need New Names
Bulawayo’s style is impressive. She manages to capture Zimbabwe and the United States through the eyes of Darling, a 10 year old girl. Bulawayo's words paint a clear yet lyrical message of life in Zimbabwe, a country in turmoil for decades under autocratic rule. We follow Darling as she assimilates to life in the United Sates - a country so strange to Darling in every way. Searching for her identity far away from home has an air of sadness as well an endearing quality as Darling navigates her way through her new home while yearning for her homeland, family and friends. We Need New Names is a powerful and unforgettable story.

A Discovery of African Literature

Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review