Reader reviews and comments on A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, plus links to write your own review.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

by Dave Eggers

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers X
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Feb 2000, 416 pages
    Feb 2001, 464 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

I Love Memoirs
I may be a bit biased because I am a fan of the "memoir movement".I realize not everyone is into this kind of thing and that's cool. I also think that memoirs are the truest form of literary art due to the fact that the author is not going through any other means. I love fiction, but the author is essentially expressing his or herself through another character. In this book, however, the author lays himself out in perfect honesty. I have true respect for this book and its author.

hilarious, awesome read. touching.
Royal J. Cumings

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is indeed a heartbreaking work of staggering genius. Many of this generation who were forced to grow up too quickly will find Mr. Eggers' stew of prose to be a kindred to their own. This is one of the best and most original books I've read.

A Hearbreaking Work is one of the most powerrful works of literature i have ever read. Eggers imagination and vivid storytelling skills are incredible. The fact that he follows his train of thought with such confidence is what makes this book a beatiful work.

This book is soooo good. I know it sounds corny, but it really made me realize i wasn't alone in some of the things i do. I, too, have a younger brother who I helped raise, and before reading this book i felt as if some of the feelings i had were so ridiculous. Like... when Eggers talks about how he would check every night to make sure his brother was breathing. I did that too! I don't know...maybe it's still weird, but it still feels better to know that someone else did that too. I'm 17, but i think people of every age would really like it. I love this book, and strongly advise anyone to read it. Dave Eggers has this incredible knack for describing things. While reading this book, i could smell the smells and see the sights sooo clearly.

dave eggars is an amazing writer. "ahwosg" is so captivating, it is impossible not to love. read it!!!
Kassandra Jade

I didn't simply read the book, it was more like the book read me, it controlled me to the point where I could not put it down. It's a container of emotions, and every time I opened it they all splurged out, blended, and captivated me.

Loved the book. Intelligent without that cool detachment. Moving without being melodramatic.

• Book Jacket: Eat the Apple