Reader reviews and comments on Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher, plus links to write your own review.

Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher

Jo Perry

There is 1 reader review for Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher

CarolK (10/12/13)

Breathtaking historical non-fiction
Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis was such an interesting read for me on many levels. There's the history of Seattle, the culture of its American Indian Tribes, the beauty of the Cascades and Mount Rainier, the lure of the west of long ago. What makes this book shine is the story of the Shadow Catcher himself, Edward Curtis, a brilliant photographer, a man with a challenge that would haunt his soul and become the meaning and also the obsession of his life. His dream to record through images and word, a twenty volume set detailing the dying rituals, stories and culture of The North American Indian.

Beginning in 1900, Timothy Egan takes us on a three decade journey unfolding in chapters of time , Curtis's "big idea" using a technique similar to the photograph stills Curtis took.

I was amazed that a man who was once renowned, died penniless, virtually alone, with his life's work unappreciated. He never knew how important his accomplishments would be. Was it all worth it in the end?

Edward Curtis could have been a fine portrait photographer and wealthy man but at what cost to his own plan, his dream, his desires.

• Book Jacket: Pachinko
    Lincoln in the Bardo
    by George Saunders

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground.

K Your F C