Reader reviews and comments on City of Women, plus links to write your own review.

by David R. Gillham

Aug 2012, 400 pages
    May 2013, 448 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 4 reader reviews for City of Women

Power Reviewer Becky H (07/10/13)

The City Of Women
I started this book with great hope for a fascinating read. Kirkus and the New York Times promised a tale of love and intrigue. By the 100th page I was bored and didn’t like any of the characters. Sigrid seemed especially shallow. The plot hadn’t appeared yet and I quit reading. Sorry.
techeditor (01/09/13)

a disappointment
CITY OF WOMEN was a disappointment. The dialog and many of the situations are just plain corny. The story is loaded with convenient coincidences. The woman who helps hide Jews in World War II Berlin is, at the same time, a tramp who can't get enough sex, then pretends to be shocked about others' sexual experiences.

The author said he wanted to put ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. But that's not what this book is. These people are not ordinary; they're unrealistic and ridiculous.
Anita (10/06/12)

What would you do?
I read this book based on BookBrowse review and was glad that I did. This is a story of a German housewife in Berlin during WWII whose soldier husband is away fighting. Life in Germany during this period of time, is something that is rarely told. It describes how she copes and endures all the hardships and bombings from Allied warplanes and daily criticisms from from a soured, old mother-in-law. She becomes sexually involved with a mysterious stranger and this love affair entangles her in something she never would have done at any other time. I found this book to be very revealing about motives, desires, selfishness and bravery. I felt the story was about ordinary people and the decisions they make about what they see happening before their eyes. It made me ask myself 'What would I do' under these circumstances, and my answer is 'I don't know'. This book gave me a different understanding of the German people. I only wish there had been more of them like the heroine of this book.
Linda Miller (09/16/12)

City of Women
An amazing book with little known facts about an underground movement during WWII to move the Jewish people out of German by the German women, some of whom their husbands, sons and brothers or lovers were serving in the German army. They risked their lives under the darkness of the air raid sirens and the blackouts, secret meetings with sympathetic German Government officials for traveling documents, and roaming troops of German soldiers to move the Jewish people from house to house, room to room and train to free country without thought of being found out and facing the firing squad and certain death. Amazing read.

The Bombing of Berlin

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review