Reader reviews and comments on Midwives, plus links to write your own review.

Midwives

by Chris Bohjalian

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

Oct 1998, 372 pages
    Oct 1998, 255 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Midwives

keilla love (05/23/11)

midwives is a nice book!
I really liked the novel midwives. It is really exciting and very breathtaking story.
Sandybeach (09/05/08)

Book that Can't Make Up It's Mind
At first I thought this was a Young Adult book, being narrated by a teen, but the language didn't ring true for YA. Nor does it fit into Mystery or Adult Fiction because of the teenage narrator. While I agree it's suspenseful, there's a withheld piece of information that made me swear I'll never read another book by this author. I felt cheated and disappointed at the end of the book.
Power Reviewer Melissa (02/19/07)

Did She or Didn't She
I enjoyed this book for so many reasons: It was a courtroom drama not centered in a courtroom; It was narrated by the eavesdropping daughter of the protagonist, which provided a great viewpoint; It was suspenseful and touching and the writing itself was beautiful!
Cadi (10/23/05)

Midwives
I loved the book. I read it in 2 days on a lovely 18 hour road trip. It was very compelling, so deep. I didn't think the end really changed that lingering doubt. I think just taking that risk of acting on those instincts for what you love really makes the point. Those entries still left a reasonable doubt in my mind. This was a lovely book to begin my law classes!
Shannon (06/05/04)

Oooh, this book annoyed me. I felt manipulated, and I don't like that. I don't want to give any plot points away (though this book has been out for ages, but still), but I found myself bothered by the facts surrounding Sybil. Do we root for her or not? I don't mind when a book makes you think for yourself--in fact, I definitely PREFER that. But I didn't think this was a case of purposeful ambiguity. It was simply inconsistent. For 99% of the book, we are given one set of facts, and then, suddendly, we are given another. I wish that the author would have mixed it up more. It's just felt cheap to me. Like cheating. Thumbs down.
Nora (04/18/04)

The title of the book did not appeal to me, but I had to read it for my group book report. After I read it I just couldn't put the book down. I especially like the ending. I will look for more book written by Chris Bohjalian.
Jeannine (09/21/02)

For the first fifty pages, I did not like the book and had just about decided not to finish it, but then I went on and found I couldn't put it down. I especially liked the ending.
Chris McCluskey (04/07/02)

I've been studying this book for a grade 13 independent study, and after three months with it by my side, it has yet to become a burden. I enjoy picking it up every time.

• Book Jacket: The End of Eddy

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R