Reader reviews and comments on A Good American, plus links to write your own review.

by Alex George

Feb 2012, 400 pages
    Feb 2013, 432 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for A Good American

Power Reviewer Becky H (02/16/13)

A wonderful book
A lovely book that explores 4 generations of a family. Carefully drawn characters and a love of music permeate this novel that begins in Germany in 1904 and ends in Missouri in 2009.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (04/21/12)

Terrific story
There is not a dull moment in this book. The storyline about multiple generations of a German/American family is engrossing, and there are plenty of humorous situations. Alex George has plenty to say and he says it well. I could just hear that four-part barbershop quartet harmony!
Daveann D. (Eureka, MO) (03/07/12)

Enjoyed!
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the twists and interesting characters. Being from Mo I especially liked it, would recommend!
Power Reviewer Nikki (02/25/12)

5 Heartfelt Stars!!
Please don't miss this one! It is a perfect novel. I hated for it to end. It is literary, lyrical, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny, too! Do yourself a favor and pick this one up today.
Ruth (02/20/12)

The Good American
I read this in one sitting and enjoyed the voices of the characters and the story of the family as if it was my own.
val (02/18/12)

A Good American
I received this book at a preview in October, read it in days. Usually one book grabs me at these previews and this book was it. Beautifully written, this saga takes you on a journey of one families life over decades. I was in love with this book. If we didn't know it or have to be reminded, we all came from somewhere. I think every lazy american should read this book. We can only learn from this family what a Good American truly is like. My hair stood up when I read the written line, "just go out there and become a Good American. " 5 Stars 2 thumbs up
Elizabeth K. (Dallas, TX) (02/14/12)

A Compelling Family Saga
If you love music and history - and if you like stories that reflect real life - you will enjoy this novel by Alex George. Compelling characters, the sweep of history, and the details of small town life combine to make this a story you'll be sad to finish. In fact, it is so good I'm planning to re-read it!
Anna S. (Auburn, AL) (01/29/12)

A Good American
This wonderful book about immigrants written by a man who is himself an immigrant offers many keen insights into the process of becoming assimilated into a new country and culture. I found myself alternately laughing and crying but enjoying every moment and wanting for more. The fact that I could readily identify with many of the characters in the book made it all the more enjoyable. My only complaint about the book is that it is a bit predictable but, thank goodness, not overly so.

German Americans

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

Rise
    by Cara Brookins

How a house built a family. An inspiring real-life story.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
    by Kathleen Rooney

"Effervescent with verve, wit, and heart" - Booklist, starred review

Win No Man's Land

No Man's Land
by Simon Tolkien

The Sellout
    by Paul Beatty
    Paul Beatty's The Sellout was one of those books that flew somewhat under the radar when it was...
  • Book Jacket: Ruler of the Night
    Ruler of the Night
    by David Morrell
    Amateur sleuth Thomas De Quincey is back in a mystery set in Victorian England. This time, he and ...
  • Book Jacket: A List of Cages