Reader reviews and comments on A Good American, plus links to write your own review.

by Alex George

A Good American by Alex George

Feb 2012, 400 pages
    Feb 2013, 432 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for A Good American

Power Reviewer Becky H

A wonderful book
A lovely book that explores 4 generations of a family. Carefully drawn characters and a love of music permeate this novel that begins in Germany in 1904 and ends in Missouri in 2009.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T.

Terrific story
There is not a dull moment in this book. The storyline about multiple generations of a German/American family is engrossing, and there are plenty of humorous situations. Alex George has plenty to say and he says it well. I could just hear that four-part barbershop quartet harmony!
Power Reviewer Nikki

5 Heartfelt Stars!!
Please don't miss this one! It is a perfect novel. I hated for it to end. It is literary, lyrical, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny, too! Do yourself a favor and pick this one up today.
Ruth

The Good American
I read this in one sitting and enjoyed the voices of the characters and the story of the family as if it was my own.
val

A Good American
I received this book at a preview in October, read it in days. Usually one book grabs me at these previews and this book was it. Beautifully written, this saga takes you on a journey of one families life over decades. I was in love with this book. If we didn't know it or have to be reminded, we all came from somewhere. I think every lazy american should read this book. We can only learn from this family what a Good American truly is like. My hair stood up when I read the written line, "just go out there and become a Good American. " 5 Stars 2 thumbs up
Elizabeth K. (Dallas, TX)

A Compelling Family Saga
If you love music and history - and if you like stories that reflect real life - you will enjoy this novel by Alex George. Compelling characters, the sweep of history, and the details of small town life combine to make this a story you'll be sad to finish. In fact, it is so good I'm planning to re-read it!
Roni S. (Pittsburgh, PA)

A Good American
"The Good American" is an excellent multi-generational story. (1904-1984) Most of the story is set in a small town in Missouri. It is narrated by the grandson. Music, food, church, family, friends, and a restaurant continue through the generations. This book would lead to interesting book club discussions about family, discrimination, religion, community, and immigration. I was never bored as the character development and various story lines held my interest and stayed with me long after finishing the book. Part of my family immigrated to Shelbina, Missouri. My paternal great-grandmother was born in Shelbina in 1870 so the book gave me a better understanding of my history. It would make an excellent movie.
Elinor S. (Loudonville, NY)

A good American
As I started reading this book, I thought, "I bet this is going to be inane and boring". I could not have been more wrong. It was engaging and heartwarming with some surprising twists. James is a great chroniciler of his family's history, with the right amount of humor and compassion. I loved this book!!

German Americans

by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Win News of the World

The Weight of Ink
    by Rachel Kadish

An intellectual, suspenseful, and entertaining page-turner.

T's S I Numbers