Reader reviews and comments on Below Stairs, plus links to write your own review.

Below Stairs

The Classic Kitchen Maid's Memoir That Inspired Upstairs, Downstairs and Downton Abbey

by Margaret Powell

Below Stairs by Margaret Powell

Jan 2012, 224 pages
    Dec 2012, 224 pages

Amy Reading

There is 1 reader review for Below Stairs

Power Reviewer Louise J (09/22/12)

Simply Charming!
Below Stairs is the true story of Margaret Powell who worked as a kitchen maid – the lowest of the low – in 1920’s England. I appreciated the book for its honesty, directness, and the informative way in which it was written. I also appreciated the integrity with which Margaret wrote – she wasn’t backward at coming forward about expressing the anger and contempt she felt for some of those she worked for.

Overall I found Below Stairs to be a funny, honest, and charming read.

Margaret was born in 1907 in Hove and died in 1984 at the age of 77.

• Book Jacket: Pachinko

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

K Your F C