Reader reviews and comments on The Submission, plus links to write your own review.

The Submission

Mar 2012, 336 pages

Jennifer Dawson Oakes

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Submission

jane

Well written but biased in her viewpoint in many subtle ways
The book was well written but skewed to make Muslims and Islam the only real victims. There are subtle innuendos that seem biased against others, especially Christians, in that most were depicted as insensitive and unknowledgeable. I could not help but think of 2 young fathers of Italian American heritage that died leaving 8 children between them. Their families' strength has come from their faith and not hatred. I would have liked a more equal accounting of all the viewpoints of those involved. All three Abrahamic religions mentioned in the book believe in one God.
avid

Didn't feel real
This was a well-written book that I want to give 5 stars to. Something about it just didn't work for me, though. I have a sense that the outrage over the selection of a Muslim to design a 9/11 memorial just would not play out the way it is depicted in this novel. I got the feeling throughout my reading that it didn't feel real. Worth reading to examine your own opinions on the matter, though.
Diane S.

The Submission by Amy Waldman
I recently saw the movie The Help and just finished reading The Dry Grass of August and was feeling very relieved that the 50's and the KKK were over. Than I read this book and realized that fear and hatred is never over. It just changes focus. A jury is picked to vote on anonymous entries for a 9/11 monument, a winner is chosen but before it is announced it is discovered that the architect is a Muslim. This well written book portrays a society that is not willing to let go of the hatred and controversy that having the first name of Mohammed entails.

Wolf Season
    by Helen Benedict
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!