Reader reviews and comments on The Homecoming of Samuel Lake, plus links to write your own review.

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake

Jul 2012, 368 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Homecoming of Samuel Lake

Lisa B.

Miracles can happen
The Homecoming of Samuel Lake is the kind of book that will stay with me a long time. The characters are so realistic and likable that I had to stop reading the book before bed because when bad things happened to the characters it upset me so much that I couldn't sleep. Not many books are this powerful.
Lori

Homecoming of Samuel Lake
I absolutely loved The Homecoming of Samuel Lake which I won in an ARC giveaway. It’s the best book I’ve read thus far this year. I had been apprehensive that it might be too religious for me, but it wasn’t at all. I agree with the positive comparisons to To Kill A Mockingbird. The characters are unique and well-developed, and the book is beautifully written. There was an underlying suspense in the story that made me unable to put the book down. I would highly recommend it to all readers and book groups.
Power Reviewer Louise J

A Family Reunion You Won't Forget!
I absolutely loved this book and couldn’t put it down. For a debut novel, Jenny Wingfield has penned a winner!

This is an emotionally charged book that, at one point, had me sobbing like a baby! I could easily see this novel becoming a classic someday. Ms. Wingfield is an up and coming author to watch for.
Martha D. (Poway, CA)

A Perfect Southern Read
What's not to love about great Southern literature? Especially during the summer. I loved the story, the characters, the setting. Like any really good story I don't want to give too much away. I always think the beauty of a great tale is having it unfold before you page by page. I don't think I'm misspeaking to say you'll be carried along by this story and won't want to put the book down until you're done.
Linda N. (Dallas, TX)

The Homecoming of Swan Lake by Jenny Winfield
The story set in the lazy summer days of rural Arkansas in the mid '50s is rich in regional idioms and quirky characters. Three generations of Moses who abide by the family rules of "no lying, no stealing and no tormenting of animals or small children," find their lives tragically changed only to rise in the end above their challenges with deeper understanding of what it means to love and be loved. Swan, the main character and a young member of the Moses clan, absolutely charmed me with her spunky imagination, rich insights, and deep empathy reminiscent of Scout in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and Huck in THE ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN. A wonderful read and a real keeper.
Kathryn W. (Beaumont, TX)

Southern Life
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was refreshing to read a novel about Southerners who were interesting people, and not gothic misfits. Obviously Ms Wingfield knows the habits of her Methodist characters well and integrates that part of their lives into the development of the story. I think Swan Lake is both brave and delightful.
Ellen S. (Mundelein, IL)

THE HOMECOMING OF SAMUEL LAKE
I cannot say enough wonderful things about this book! It reminded me of a cross between To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn. Ras Ballenger is an unbelievably demonic character in this twist on the classic morality tale of good vs. evil. The protagonists simply cannot comprehend the extent of his evil until it is almost too late. As Swan's fate was hanging in the balance, I was holding my breath and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I'm not the most spiritual person by nature, but I closed the book believing in Swan's mice. To me, Toy was a 'Christ' figure; suffering for the sins of others, offering himself up in exchange for their redemption. The conclusion is satisfying, tying up all the loose ends, and leaving you on the perfect note.
Nancy A. (Woodstock, Georgia)

Compelling and Satisfying Read
The story and characters will quietly find their way into your heart, and stay there, as you are drawn along in this tale of a family's love and the astonishing evil they witness that motivates them to act and, ultimately, causes profound changes in their lives, because "once you change one part of a thing, all the other parts begin to shift". This book packs an emotional wallop and, while there is much for a book club to discuss, it is not for youngsters or pre-teens. It has the potential to become a much-loved best seller.

• Book Jacket: Future Home of the Living God
    by Alison McGhee

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

Strangers in Budapest
    by Jessica Keener

A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say

E Dog H I D