Reader reviews and comments on Turn of Mind, plus links to write your own review.

Turn of Mind

by Alice LaPlante

Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante

Jul 2011, 320 pages
    May 2012, 320 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Turn of Mind

Power Reviewer Suzanne G. (08/15/12)

Engaging book
An engaging book! An orthopedic surgeon suffers from Alzheimer’s disease. Her best friend is dead. Did Jennifer commit a crime and murder her? The book searches thoughts and actions of those troubled by dementia and the problems of family members dealing with the disease. Much of the “research” was first hand experience of author LaPlante. A great book. And a wonderful cover!
debadoo (07/04/12)

Not Very Mysterious
I wish the author had left out the mystery aspect of the book, which frankly made little sense. It also made the characters, who weren't very likable to begin with, even less so. That said, the portrayal of dementia was interesting. I am watching a loved one deteriorate with Alzheimer's and often wonder what he is thinking and feeling. It was an interesting take on a painful disease, which devastates both the patient and those who love her.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (05/29/12)

Engrossing novel
This is a combination of murder mystery and a psychological examination of declining memory due to the ravages of Alzheimer's and its effects on the patient and those around her. The novel is written in an innovative style, partly based on the central character's journal, that lends itself to the suspense and the portrayal of her mental states. I found it hard to put down, and I would definitely recommend it as a book club selection.
Erin G (05/23/12)

Gripping and original
This was an engrossing and suspenseful read, despite the fact that the main character wasn't particularly likeable. Watching a respected physician lose her mental integrity, her memories, and her ability to care for herself was tragic; that she alone may know the details of her best friend's murder really ratchets up the tension. I will definitely be on the lookout for future books by this author.
Karen R (05/22/12)

Hard to put down!
A riveting story of a highly accomplished woman, Dr. Jennifer White, succumbing to the ravages of Alzheimer's Disease. The writing style is original; the story told thru Dr. White's eyes, whose reality changes from day to day, minute to minute. It is a sad story of a woman who keeps a notebook as she progresses in losing her ability to interact properly with the outer world, not recognizing her own children but at other times sharp on events of long ago. Although a work of fiction, this story allows us to peek into the real world of dementia, the brain's deterioration; the frustrations and fears that accompany it. I found myself thinking of my own father who has dementia, wondering if he has the same fractured and frightening thoughts/confusion and will it progress similarly? Remarkable book and hard to put down. The ending just a little bit too tidy for my taste but the book is still well worth the read.
Karen R (05/16/12)

Riveting!
julie (05/09/12)

Turn of Mind
Turn of Mind was an intriguing look into the horror of dementia. It was very interesting, though unsettling, to read about Jennifer's descent into a world where nothing is familiar. The author realistically portrayed the progression of the disease. The use of the narrative, journalistic style also contributed to the impact of the book. However, I did not feel a connection with any of the characters in the book. I found them all unlikeable and had an especially hard time feeling sympathy for the victim. With that said, it was,overall, a worthwhile read.
skasybot (05/06/12)

Revealing glimpse into dementia
I admired the author's skill in allowing the reader to enter the mind of her main character Dr. Jennifer White as she progressively deteriorated into dementia. It was horrifying to share with Jennifer her initial awareness of her disease. At first keeping a diary of her thoughts but inevitably losing more and more current memory and sense of time, Jennifer increasingly confuses past and present until her inevitable mental destruction. The sense of loss was felt by this reader through the skill of LaPlante's writing. The reason I did not give this book 5 stars was because I felt that the secondary plot of having a murder mystery was not necessary in this moving novel. It distracted me and I felt it hurt the unity of the theme of the novel which focused on dementia and it's effect on others.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Good Me Bad Me

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F