Reader reviews and comments on 22 Britannia Road, plus links to write your own review.

22 Britannia Road

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 2 reader reviews for 22 Britannia Road

Lynne Hersh

Stunning Read
Amanda Hodgkinson has written a gem of a book! Her use of language compels the reader to continue to actively think while reading the story. What evils did the characters witness during the war? Why are they so reluctant to speak of the experiences that have so changed them? The stories unfold as the characters tell the backstories interspersed with their current story. By reading critically readers will pick up the discreet foreshadowing of events. Voice and place change often so the reader must pay attention to the chapter titles. The depth of each character is revealed and readers will get to know them intimately. Some are more likeable than others but who is really a "bad" person is between the reader and the text. I could make a case on both sides of the discussion for most of the book's characters. This book would be a fantastic choice for a book club and it will produce a lively discussion. There are many rich talking points.

I really like that this a WWII story without it being a Holocaust survivor story. There are many victims during wartime and while WWII literature is so rich with important and necessary Holocaust memoirs it is refreashing to have a tale which provides fodder for readers to understand the many victims of this war.

The themes have elements that I found comparable to the themes in the wonderful book Room; isolation, survival, nature vs. nurture. As universal as themes are in literature these are two very different stories of survival with a young child and those themes resonate in both books.
bobbie d

Escape
About escaping the Germans from Warsaw. I thought it was a well-written book and it held my interest. Read it over a year ago.

The Nazi Invasion of Poland

• Book Jacket: A Death of No Importance
    A Death of No Importance
    by Mariah Fredericks
    Bringing the reader deep into the intrigue and privilege of the most elite boudoirs, A Death of No ...
  • Book Jacket: The Overstory
    by Ruth Fitzmaurice

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

The Girl Who Smiled Beads
    by Clemantine Wamariya & Elizabeth Weil

A riveting story of survival, and the power of stories to save us.

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes