Reader reviews and comments on Out of My Mind, plus links to write your own review.

Out of My Mind

Tamara Smith

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Out of My Mind

Brook (09/19/16)

great
This brook was one of the best i've have read. idk about y'all but it was good!
Power Reviewer Beckyh (02/13/16)

A look at "disability"
Melody, eleven years old, is brilliant. She also has spastic bilateral quadriplegia (cerebral palsy), is confined to a wheelchair and cannot speak. When she gets a Medi-Talker that allows her to communicate, her life changes.
OUT OF MY MIND tells Melody’s story of being confined in so many ways until her Medi-Talker arrives and the changes it makes in her life and the lives of those around her. Told sensitively and with compassion, it also tells of the story of a “normal” pre-teen confined in a disability. Draper writes with clarity. Melody is a well-rounded character as are her mother and father, neighbor and mentor, personal assistant and, most importantly, the other fifth graders and teachers in both her “special” classes and her “inclusive” classes.
Book groups (adult, teen, mother-daughter) will all find many topics for discussion including disabilities, friendship, jealousy, cliques, “special” education and others. Many of the topics will resonate with all teens and pre-teens who struggle with image, self-confidence and differences.
5 of 5 stars
LIZZIE (01/13/15)

awesome
I didn't like reading, but this book changed my life on reading; now I love to read!
Kelie (10/29/14)

Inspirational
This book is a very inspirational book, because it talks about a girl that has cerebral palsy, and how life might be or is for a someone that has that. It's good for 5th-7th graders depending on maturity and reading level. It's not hard to read but fun to read instead. :)
Hope (01/03/14)

Out of my mind
I think this book is excellent. My favorite part was when Rose became her friend. And the sad part was when they left her and didn't tell her and she was sad. But I really like the book and I told all my friends they should read it and see what Melody went through.
country girl (04/28/13)

my idea of the story
This book is OK I guess, but I feel like Melody doesn't want to talk as much as the author wants her to talk.
antonia bieber (10/28/12)

out of my mind awesome review
This book "Out of My Mind" is a very good book because my Mom works with these type of kids and they are really smart just like melody.
Bina (01/02/12)

Out of my Mind
I thought that Melody could inspire anyone in the world. Toward the end there was a huge twist. The attention wasn't on Melody anymore. I also loved how Sharon kept you on your toes the whole story. I recommend this book to everyone out there.

What is Cerebral Palsy?

by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O