MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Postmistress, plus links to write your own review.

The Postmistress

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Postmistress

N. H. Hill (09/28/14)

On the Brink
I had trouble figuring out what this book was about. It seemed as though the message was: you can not control things; what will be will be. Found it discouraging.
Valerie F. (02/22/11)

Disappointing
I wanted to like this book, especially because the premise seemed to have a lot of potential and was interesting in theory. Unfortunately, I don't think the author did well with it all, taking on a bit too much and not doing much with it after all.

A lot of the writing was overly detailed, and I found myself just wanting things to move on more quickly. It was also a bit repetitive, especially in focusing on the characters' thoughts and some of what they said. I didn't feel like they were real enough as people, going over the same things in their heads, or saying the same thing someone else had said later.

The biggest problems seemed to be with where the story followed the premise of an undelivered letter and an unfiled story. I thought they'd be a lot bigger than they were, and then they just felt tacked on like afterthoughts. And in too precious of a way to really have made use of them.

Overall, I was just disappointed with this book. The story had so much potential to be interesting, but the execution was just lacking.
Aprile G (08/31/10)

Promise unfulfilled
The Postmistress started with promise--the first chapter crackled with sharply described characters and situations, and set up the expectation of an engaging story. Unfortunately, this made the book's sloppy descent, with predictable turns, murky motivations, and unsatisfyingly pre-determined ending all that more frustrating.
Power Reviewer Suzanne G. (01/05/10)

A Winner!
I really enjoyed this book. With three main characters but each so different, the meshing of these three people during WWII is very satisfactory. Humor, particularly with Iris and her doctor, is subtle, and that special scene actually made me laugh aloud. Sarah Blake will be read by me as long as she keeps writing.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

by Simon Tolkien

• Book Jacket: Ruler of the Night
    Ruler of the Night
    by David Morrell
    Amateur sleuth Thomas De Quincey is back in a mystery set in Victorian England. This time, he and ...
  • Book Jacket: A List of Cages