Reader reviews and comments on The Swan Thieves, plus links to write your own review.

The Swan Thieves

Judy Krueger

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Swan Thieves

Elinor

beautifully painterly
I loved this book from the beginning. The descriptions were so real and I felt the torment of the psychotic artist and the people who loved him. The parallel stories of the 19th and 20th centuries were well done.
Janet Elliott

The Swan Theives
I loved this book from the first page; the clever way that it bridged the years, the visual descriptions of people, landscapes and colours. To me it left questions unanswered but this made it even more thought provoking. Even though I finished reading it two days ago I still feel the urge to go back to certain parts and re-read them. As with many other books I feel quite sad to be without all these lovely characters.
Patricia Van Es

The swan thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
It is beautifully and sensitively written, the story is not long when you put the whole of it together. One is meant to take your time and enjoy the painters for themselves individually, the scenes they are painting , the human interest and the atmosphere around them as well as the intrigue in the story. When you finish reading the whole book you are glad that you read to the end.
Heather

Disappointment
Kostiva's first novel held me captivated and spellbound and I was very excited when this second novel came out, however, I couldn't even finish it. The characters were flat, and the storyline just plodded along. I felt as if I was waiting for something, anything, to develop that would intrigue me. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and continue reading waiting for the spellbinding effect of the first novel to take over. Finally, I threw the book away in disgust. I was highly disappointed by Kostiva's second novel and I do not recommend it at all.
Marketa G.

Unfortunately disappointing
I suppose after the success of The Historian, my expectations were quite high, as I am sure were those of other fans of Kostova's debut novel.

Unfortunately, I found the characters in The Swan Thieves rather uninteresting, and really didn't care about any of them. Her prose is dull, unfocused and tedious, and I found it difficult to get through each chapter.

The Swan Thieves just doesn't work.

The Last Ballad
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins
  • Book Jacket: We Own the Sky
    We Own the Sky
    by Luke Allnutt
    Rob and Anna Coates have an idyllic life together; they have successful careers, love each other ...
  • Book Jacket: Some Trick
    Some Trick
    by Helen DeWitt
    In this erudite collection of 13 stories, Helen DeWitt explores the theme of stymied creativity, ...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Rules of Magic

Win up to 12 copies for you & your book club!

The spellbinding prequel to Alice Hoffman's bestselling Practical Magic.

M T G Before I S