Reader reviews and comments on Remarkable Creatures, plus links to write your own review.

Remarkable Creatures

Jennifer G Wilder

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Remarkable Creatures

Sue Riggs

Woman of note
I became entranced with the story of an unknown woman of poor schooling and economic standing who pursued the opportunities of a lifetime. Having read other novels by Tracy Chevalier my initial interest was in her writing/storytelling abilities. I was pulled into the story of Mary Anning. So much goes by us each day without our knowledge. I found the book refreshing and informative.
Suzanne G.

Based on history—
This is a wonderful story taking place on the shores of Lyme England. Elizabeth Philpot and Mary Anning have a love of fossils in early 1800s. A strong bond of friendship develops between the women, although their social circumstances and backgrounds are so dissimilar. This story is based on true happenings. It is very much a recognizable Chevalier-written book— great fiction formed on facts.
Dorothy T.

Tracy Chevalier Comes Through Again
Tracy Chevalier has great ability to use fiction to elaborate on the lives of true characters. From the beginning pages, I was drawn into the lives of Mary Anning and Elizabeth Philpot and learned much about them and their work hunting fossils, in a time and place that the novel brings into focus. The story also has much to say about friendship and personal growth.

• Book Jacket: The Electric Woman
    The Electric Woman
    by Tessa Fontaine
  • Book Jacket: The Female Persuasion
    The Female Persuasion
    by Meg Wolitzer
    A college freshman struggling for identity. A 1960s feminist icon attempting to maintain her ...
  • Book Jacket: A Lucky Man
    A Lucky Man
    by Jamel Brinkley
    If his debut collection of short stories, A Lucky Man is any indicator, Jamel Brinkley is poised on ...
  • Book Jacket: Picture Us In The Light
    Picture Us In The Light
    by Kelly Loy Gilbert
    Kelly Loy Gilbert presents a beautiful narrative with myriad intertwined plotlines that explores the...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Anatomy of a Miracle