Reader reviews and comments on The Crossing Places, plus links to write your own review.

A Ruth Galloway Mystery

by Elly Griffiths

Jan 2010, 320 pages
    Sep 2010, 288 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Crossing Places

Alan K. (Westport, MA) (12/03/09)

The Crossing Places
I agree with Betty B. although a 5, in my mind reserved for the best of the best, seems too high a rating. The plot is enjoyable, the setting great but it is the character of Ruth Galloway that captures my primary interest. I would definitely be interested in reading further books in this series just to see what Ruth is up to.
Janalee G. (West Palm Beach, FL) (12/01/09)

The Crossing Places
Strangely enough, I had ordered this book from the UK before it came up on the review list--a very good read! The mystery itself isn't difficult to sort out--there are a limited number of possible suspects. The beauty of the book comes from the depiction of the landscape, the archaeology, and the characters who react to both. I especially enjoyed the main character--and her changes in respect to her life and the people around her.
Anne B. (Fredonia, WI) (11/13/09)

Chills and Thrills
I love archeology which drew me to this book in the first place. And it didn't disappoint, but then, there is the mystery, and the fact that the archeologist is the key in helping solving the mystery pulls me in even further. The discovery of bones, the sudden disappearance of a child and the discovery of a murdered pet keeps me guessing and wanting more.
Jane D. (Boulder, CO) (11/12/09)

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
Ruth Galloway is a delightful, human, and quirky character. This is a fun and exciting mystery, while also offering interesting tidbits of archeology, ancient cultures, and Norse mythology. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Tricia L. (Auburn, WA) (11/10/09)

Irresistible setting and premise; somewhat predictable
I really love the protagonist for this series. That alone will keep me reading the series, but I would love for the author to be braver in how she executes the high-pitched dramatic moments. I skipped some pages. But if you love British mysteries, this series looks to be promising.
Susan (Maple Grove, MN) (11/09/09)

“not quite earth, not quite sea”
This book pairs archaeology with criminal investigation – a good pairing since both disciplines use clues to solve mysteries. The characters are pretty well developed and interesting. You get a good feel for the locale, and learn about an area that is "not quite earth, not quite sea" which was sacred to Iron Age dwellers. I was intrigued enough with the locale and characters to think I would read the next in the series.
Susan H. (Loudon, TN) (11/07/09)

The Crossing places
Ruth Galloway, the main character in this mystery, is a welcome addition to a growing list of female sleuths. Ruth is a person to whom most people can relate; a bit overweight, with a wry sense of humor and with a realistic view of life. The author blends ancient archaeology nicely with contemporary events and keeps the reader interested. During the course of the story, the author provides a number of "red herrings" and the identity of the murderer was in doubt until the end. I look forward to reading more Ruth Galloway mysteries in the near future.
Betty B. (Irving, TX) (11/06/09)

A New Mystery Series
I am a frequent reader of British mysteries and am always on the lookout for a series new to me. I'm so glad to be introduced to Elly Griffiths and The Crossing Places. I was hooked 20 pages in by the main characters... and the locale. And now I am looking forward to seeing the relationships develop and to learn more about the history of this section of England. I would have liked to have had a second map locating Norfolk and the Saltmarsh on a map of England. But all in all a very good read.

• Book Jacket: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko