Reader reviews and comments on The Magicians, plus links to write your own review.

The Magicians

May 2010, 416 pages

Judy Krueger

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Magicians

Katy Lee

Interesting...but, a little disturbing too.
I love the Potter books - and I have done my fair share of LOTR and CON reading as well - I am guilty as are the characters of this book of wanting it all to be more real than fiction.

The book draws you in with interesting "new" ways to look at magic...but, at the same time, it is quite disturbing to think that such longing is really about dissatisfaction with the mundane of the regular world (what JKR would call the Muggle World).

And, then, it just as you imagine that a magical life might be your dream - it presents the reality that magic would have issues of its own.

An enjoyable read - I would not consider this in any way acceptable reading for anyone younger than adult. There are some themes that would be even too much for some teens. But, it is fun for adult fans of fantasy and brings a bit of reality to the fore.
Mj

The Magicians
I typically love books that offer the excitement and mystery of fantasy adventures. However, I found The Magicians very disappointing. It touched on so many potentially interesting and creative ideas and places like Brakebills and Fillory... but never really melded them to a meaningful/cohesive plot. I somehow felt like I missed the point of the story. All the best to Mr. Grossman... but there are just too many better reading options in this genre to escape to.

• Book Jacket: The Art of the Wasted Day
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes