Reader reviews and comments on The Magicians, plus links to write your own review.

The Magicians

Judy Krueger

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Magicians

Mj (09/06/10)

The Magicians
I typically love books that offer the excitement and mystery of fantasy adventures. However, I found The Magicians very disappointing. It touched on so many potentially interesting and creative ideas and places like Brakebills and Fillory... but never really melded them to a meaningful/cohesive plot. I somehow felt like I missed the point of the story. All the best to Mr. Grossman... but there are just too many better reading options in this genre to escape to.
Katy Lee (12/30/09)

Interesting...but, a little disturbing too.
I love the Potter books - and I have done my fair share of LOTR and CON reading as well - I am guilty as are the characters of this book of wanting it all to be more real than fiction.

The book draws you in with interesting "new" ways to look at magic...but, at the same time, it is quite disturbing to think that such longing is really about dissatisfaction with the mundane of the regular world (what JKR would call the Muggle World).

And, then, it just as you imagine that a magical life might be your dream - it presents the reality that magic would have issues of its own.

An enjoyable read - I would not consider this in any way acceptable reading for anyone younger than adult. There are some themes that would be even too much for some teens. But, it is fun for adult fans of fantasy and brings a bit of reality to the fore.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be ...

Y S M B, I'll S Y