Reader reviews and comments on The Magicians, plus links to write your own review.

The Magicians

May 2010, 416 pages

Judy Krueger

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Magicians

Katy Lee

Interesting...but, a little disturbing too.
I love the Potter books - and I have done my fair share of LOTR and CON reading as well - I am guilty as are the characters of this book of wanting it all to be more real than fiction.

The book draws you in with interesting "new" ways to look at magic...but, at the same time, it is quite disturbing to think that such longing is really about dissatisfaction with the mundane of the regular world (what JKR would call the Muggle World).

And, then, it just as you imagine that a magical life might be your dream - it presents the reality that magic would have issues of its own.

An enjoyable read - I would not consider this in any way acceptable reading for anyone younger than adult. There are some themes that would be even too much for some teens. But, it is fun for adult fans of fantasy and brings a bit of reality to the fore.
Mj

The Magicians
I typically love books that offer the excitement and mystery of fantasy adventures. However, I found The Magicians very disappointing. It touched on so many potentially interesting and creative ideas and places like Brakebills and Fillory... but never really melded them to a meaningful/cohesive plot. I somehow felt like I missed the point of the story. All the best to Mr. Grossman... but there are just too many better reading options in this genre to escape to.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers