Reader reviews and comments on The Given Day, plus links to write your own review.

by Dennis Lehane

Sep 2008, 720 pages
    Sep 2009, 720 pages

Diane La Rue

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Given Day

Power Reviewer Elizabeth (07/27/10)

Not bad...have to have time to read :)
A little long, but great historical fiction. Story was about a family who had policemen in the family line and the Boston Police Strike took place during the book...murder too and some mysteries.
Power Reviewer Lupoman (05/20/09)

The Given Day
After finally finishing this book, I have to say that the author is very close to becoming one of my favorite authors. His writing draws one in, and there's no sleep until you're finished.
"The Given Day" is well written, and the characters have depth and are very much alive. I doubt that this story will ever make it to the big screen, but if it does, it won't do the book any justice.
SDC (11/27/08)

Best Book of 2008
I've not read a historical novel this good since Ragtime. Lehane has a definite Doctorow feel to his writing - carefully intermingling uncommon characters - both real and imaginary - into a real page-turner. Highly recommended.

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review