Reader reviews and comments on Kabul Beauty School, plus links to write your own review.

Kabul Beauty School

Dec 2007, 320 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Kabul Beauty School

Louise Jolly

Kabul Beauty School
Deborah Rodriguez was a hairdresser from Michigan with a degree in cosmetology who decided to move to Afghanistan and teach the women of Kabul how to be beauticians. As she was working out the details of how her hairdressing school would be run, she heard of Mary MacMakin who had already dedicated herself to the women of Afghanistan and was in the process of working on the Kabul Beauty School. Debbie quickly joined forces with Mary and became the first teacher of the first class in 2003.

During her years in Kabul she befriended a lot of women from her classes who themselves went on to teach as well. Her friendships with these women meant a lot as the majority were victims of terrible beatings and rapes by their husbands and were frightened and lacking in self-confidence. By educating them Debbie had empowered these women and given them the knowledge and courage to begin working and they often made more money than their spouses.

Kabul Beauty School was a book I couldn’t put down and it will provide you with an immensely pleasurable read and a longing to have Debbie as your friend.
Tanya Santy

Inspiration
Deborah Rodriguez's book "Kabul Beauty School" was about a her life story as an adult with an abusive husband, and leaving her life behind to help out underprivileged women in Afghanistan. In Afghanistan she saw women that were beaten and abused physically and emotionally. These things were hard for her to see and she tried her hardest to do every thing she could to help them through it.
This book was a wonderful book and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a book with day by day/journal type writing. It had suspense and was the type of book that you can't eat, can't sleep, can't put down until its done. I would be unable to comprehend why anyone would disagree.
This book was very inspirational to many young women for not only because of what Deborah Rodriguez did by giving up her life in America to go to a completely different country where women were hated just to help out women in need, but because of the women there. These women overcame so many obstacles. It made me think of all the things that I complain about and put them into prospective of how bad they really are compared to the hardships these girls have suffered.

• Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
  • Book Jacket: The Electric Woman
    The Electric Woman
    by Tessa Fontaine

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Anatomy of a Miracle