Reader reviews and comments on Peony in Love, plus links to write your own review.

Peony in Love

by Lisa See

Peony in Love

Jun 2007, 272 pages
    Feb 2008, 320 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Peony in Love

Power Reviewer Elizabeth (07/13/10)

Not as good as Snowflower and the Secret Fan...STRANGE
This book was very the young girl starves herself to death because she doesn't marry the man she loves.

Then all the strange things start to happen after was bizarre how she could see people and go into their lives and make things happen.

It was too sci-fi for me...not sure it really was science fiction, but that is what it seemed to me.

I read the entire book, but not with the same "gusto" as I read Snowflower and the Secret Fan.

The ending with that tablet was strange as well. Great to learn about the culture, though, and the thoughts about what happens after death.
sam (02/23/10)

peony in love
This is my second time reading this book. If I was able to I would marry it. It is just so amazing the way Lisa See writes. The pain Peony goes through trying to make Ren fall for her and know that she still loves him. Also having to watch Ze burn all her hard work in the first copy of the Peony pavilion she is so strong even in death. Lovesickness may have taken her life but she lives in her project. You could not ask more of her. In the end she got what she wanted and was shedding light on the Wu family house as she should have.
Judy (04/03/08)

I highly recommend Peony in Love. I love the way Lisa See can portray a long-ago Chinese culture that is firmly grounded in historical fact but brought to vivid life by a compelling story and such engaging characters. I loved this about Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and was happy to find it in Peony in Love, too. Peony in Love is a fascinating story of a time in China when women wrote and published poetry and other literature in spite of a culture that over most of its history treated women as property with no rights or autonomy.
Beth (03/20/08)

This is another interesting and fun book to read from Lisa See - author of "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan," Like that book, "Peony in Love" goes into the history and culture of China while also presenting characters that are well developed and worth knowing. "Peony" offers a somewhat different perspective on the life of women in dynasty China - I don't want to spoil the novel by giving away too much information. It would be an excellent choice for any reader who has enjoyed her other books or other Chinese historical novels - i.e. those of Pearl Buck, Amy Tan and Maxine Hong Kingston.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.

by Paulette Jiles