Reader reviews and comments on The Pirate's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Pirate's Daughter

Aug 2008, 432 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Pirate's Daughter

Kaley (09/18/10)

Fantastic book
This is one of the most entertaining books I've ever read!
I pray the author is writing another book soon.
Kathy (07/23/08)

Excellent - didn't want to put it down
I SO enjoyed this book. I thought the premise was intriguing (Errol Flynn fathering a child in Jamaica), although Flynn is not the main character, and actually, comes off as sort of a self-absorbed, pitiful character. the book was rich with details about Jamaica, of which I know little. I always enjoy multi-generational tales, especially ones that take me to another time and place. I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn't reading, and didn't want the book to end. I enjoyed the dialogue and even if I didn't like all the characters, I came to care about them. I don't know that I would have picked the book on my own, so I really appreciated the opportunity to read and comment on it.
Deborah (05/07/08)

Family and Identity
An imaginative, touching book about love, the longing for family, and the search for identity. Both Ida and May are caught among racial identities (African, Chinese, Caucasian) in the changing Jamaica of the 1960s and beyond. The author portrays perfectly the prickly relationship between mother and daughter, especially Ida's need to protect May. Cezair-Thompson writes beautifully, and she clearly has a mastery of Jamaican dialect and customs. I highly recommend this wonderful novel.
Kathy (10/10/07)

Excellent - didn't want to put it down
Sandra (10/10/07)

Hooray for Cezair-Thompson
I can hardly wait to hear from Margaret Cezair-Thompson again. I was delighted to read a book in which I enjoyed the main characters. I did not always like what they did but I still liked them The supporting characters lent such a wonderful and sometimes frightening background. This is a book not only about mothers and daughters but parents and children. The choices made always bring unexpected results. This is a real page-turner. Enjoy!
Deb (10/10/07)

Just a lovely book!
I would recommend this book to anyone as it has something to offer a reader at many different levels. Family, romance, Hollywood, Jamaica, and the areas where they connect. I was apprehensive about writing a review, but this book made it easy. Please grab a copy!
Sue (10/10/07)

An Engrossing Read
Combining the sultry, yet exciting, atmosphere of Jamaica with the glamor of “Old Hollywood”, this novel evokes feelings that are both unsettling and nostalgic. The characters are as rich and varied as the setting, and in their search for themselves, the women, especially, come to life - you will remember May and Ida long after the book is finished. Both of them, coming of age a generation apart, weave relationships and intrigues that will fascinate the reader.
Phoenix (10/10/07)

Movie stars, pirates and treasures, oh, my!
This was a thrilling read. It transports you to Jamaica at the glamorous time of Flynn and Monroe and brings you a vision of a young girl's future. We see May transform from a disillusioned tomboy who never gets a chance to have a relationship with her father to a caring and compasionate young woman.

It is a vacation in Jamaica with a taste of political change and exciting characters. If you are very still, you can feel the breeze and hear the reggae music.

Don't miss this brilliant novel.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund