Reader reviews and comments on The Collaborator of Bethlehem, plus links to write your own review.

The Collaborator of Bethlehem

Jan 2008, 272 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Collaborator of Bethlehem

Rita

The Collaborator of Bethlehem
It should be remembered that this book is presented as the start of a mystery series and not as a novel or scholarly work about the Middle East. As a mystery it is engaging and attention-holding and more importantly to me, it is memorable. I finished this book more than two weeks ago and have read other books in the interim; yet, I can recall the plot and most details quite vividly. That entitles it to be called a good book in my mind. The characters are ones that the reader cares about, the plot carries suspense and the blood and gore factor is minimal. It is enjoyable summer reading.
Vivian

Collaborator of Bethlehem
It is well written and gives a different perspective of the problems in the area showcasing the people and the dangers of living in a war-torn area. Portrays the everyday lives of the families and the difficulties faced by the people in trying to exist in an area where one can be killed in an instant.
James K.

No cigar
This is fiction but many professional reviewers have treated it as representing real life in the West Bank. From that perspective I was disappointed by the author's failure to explore differences among the many kinds of Palestinian interest groups and individuals. The picture presented here is relentlessly downbeat and oversimplified. A very complex conflict is viewed through the single lens of one man's heroic struggle against what we are led to believe is pervasive and unremitting immorality on the part of just about everyone outside his immediate family, but especially fellow Palestinians. I doubt that Rees' portrayal does justice to the range of motivations of the protagonists and the varieties of resistance against evil that actually occur in such situations. It is to be hoped that Rees will harness his experience with this part of the world to a more nuanced plot in his next novel.

• Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...
  • Book Jacket: The Workshop and the World
    The Workshop and the World
    by Robert P. Crease
    The longest glacier in France, the Mer de Glace, is losing roughly 12 feet of ice height each year. ...

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

The Affairs of the Falcóns
    by Melissa Rivero

A beautiful, urgent novel about the lengths one woman is willing to go to build a new life.

Book Club
An American Marriage
by Tayari Jones

A masterpiece of storytelling, and a 2018 Oprah's Book Club Selection.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U