Reader reviews and comments on A Long Way Gone, plus links to write your own review.

A Long Way Gone

Aug 2008, 240 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for A Long Way Gone

FLAG (10/24/12)

WOW
WOW! i never thought this book would be like this. I thought it was going to be another boring one that we read in high school but it's not. ANyone who thinks about not reading this book shouldn't, they just need to read it. No option. READ IT! you'll be glad you did.
Karissa (10/24/12)

WOW!!!
this book is amazing and so... i don't even know how to explain it! What really amazed me was the fact that this is happening. I didn't even realize that these things are happening in our world today! I recommend this book to ANYONE! The way he explains the things he sees and how he just loses everything really gets to me. I've already read this book twice. I would have never read this book if it wasn't for my English teacher. I'm glad I did though.
Alec Nassirzadeh (02/24/11)

A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier Book Review
“A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier” is written by Ishmael Beah. This book is an inspirational truthful story about Ishmael Beah and his difficult childhood. Our book club group’s first impression of the book was that it is a vicious and brutal book by looking at the cover of the book. This book is also written with a lot of power and emotion.
   Ishmael Beah, the author of this book was born on November 23, 1980 in Mattru Jong, Sierra Leone and his nationality is Sierra Leonean. His occupation right now is a Human Rights Activist. Beah doesn’t have any other books out besides “A Long Way Gone”. He won a Young Adult Award for this book which meets the criteria of both good quality literature and appealing reading teens.
   Ishmael was a brainwashed child soldier participating in a revolution that killed his family. He kills many rebels and he uses the excuse that they killed his family. He goes through the hardship of his young life and you will see if he makes it through it.
   “A Long Way Gone”, is written in first person. The genre of this book is a memoir and it was published on February 15, 2007. This book is about four years old and the events that happen in the book are still happening to this day. This book has very good style to it because it accurately paints a picture in your head about the events that happen in Beah’s life. When our book club read it we all felt like we were actually in the book traveling with Beah throughout his journey.
   Our book club enjoyed this book because it was written in a very specific and real way. This book also left us hanging after each chapter which made us want to read more. We recommend this book to people who like action and actual reality. The actual reality in this book is the child soldier problems which are still happening in other countries. All in all, our group thinks this book is great, and we recommend other people to read this story about Ishmael Beah and his rough life growing up.
JD (11/30/10)

a long way gone
This book, A Long Way Gone, was a very touchy heart-felt story. It is about a young African boy who has only heard of war never seen it. Until it hits his village. Now he goes from village to village with his brothers trying to avoid it. This book is a very violent book and I would not recommend it to those with a weak stomach. I thought the book was entertaining but not all that. It kind of drags on and does get a little boring. Killing is fun to read about but its the same thing over and over and over again. Some guy getting his head blown off and you starving gets old surprisingly quickly. But I would say it is a readable book none the less, It was worth reading.
deedee (08/05/10)

Wonderful
i thought that this book was extremely awesome. It was a little on the graphic side but not to much for me to handle. I recommend this book to everyone alive.
sexy_lil_thinq (05/04/10)

This book is great
This book is very interesting. Even though it goes back and forth with the past and present its still great...It's a very emotional/touching book..I would recommend this book to many people based on my experience with it
momo (11/10/09)

an asowme eye opener
i have not quiet finished the book. I'm just now starting chapter 18, but this book has opened up a lot in my mind and has helped me explore the life a boy would live in Africa. I have gotten so into this book that there are times I end up walking down the street on my way home with my nose in the book. this book is most definitely a school project gone right. it helps me escape my world, to enter another. With vibrant details and the concrete settings, I would definitely recomend this for a good read and have already done so to at the very least to 5 people.
shottaboy (02/09/09)

this book is awesome!
This is an excellent book there is so much to say about to

It is a well written book and explains and create an image of what kids my age goes through around the world.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am
    Commonwealth
    by Ann Patchett

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review