Reader reviews and comments on Thunderstruck, plus links to write your own review.

Thunderstruck

Sep 2007, 480 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Thunderstruck

Dorothy T.

History made fascinating
Eric Larson has a great gift for taking historical facts--well documented--and, by focusing on individual persons, presents his readers with an engrossing tale. I recommend his books to anyone with even a little bit of interest in history.
VW

Large Efforts of Small Men
Once a young student with little or no appreciation of history, I now read books like Larson's with curiosity and genuine interest. This author weaves together the stories that made headlines at the last turn of the century. One person's actions put him in the Who's Who Timeline of all time (Marconi) and the other whose over-reaction to a bad marriage landed him in prison for life (Crippen). Both men were not the larger-than-life characters who play leading roles in many biographies or non-fiction writing. Rather, they were complex, confused; both were driven by strong emotions, one prodded by his competitors and peers - the other pushed past his limit by a demanding prima donna wife. Neither were able to stand proud, but both became small by their lack of integrity and inability to connect intimately. However, Marconi - listed as an inventor, struggles for years and lands on his feet for all posterity while Crippen ultimately fails after many attempts as a medical practitioner then commits a nearly perfect murder.
A page-turner, Larson's story takes you by the hand through engaging times - a journey nearly as intriguing as his earlier "Devil in the White City."

• Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!