Reader reviews and comments on The God Delusion, plus links to write your own review.

The God Delusion

by Richard Dawkins

The God Delusion

Sep 2006, 416 pages
    Jan 2008, 464 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The God Delusion

James M (08/30/11)

A masterpiece of logic
In this thoroughly enjoyable book, Dawkins strips down religion and confronts it with its antithesis, science, providing a veritable truck-load of ammunition for atheists worldwide. He expresses his consternation at the venomous influence of religion on logic and morality. This book has the ability to liberate a mind incarcerated by irrational faith and spiteful dogma. One can only lament that there are some who obstinately dismiss this masterpiece of logic on the grounds of their baseless religious beliefs.
Andrew K (10/10/10)

This compelling, ultimately comprehensive conviction that God is a metaphor is surgically precise.
After reading this book I have claimed Richard Dawkins as a brave hero and have embraced atheism as a compassionate, pro-human, pro-civilization, unifying body of work that promises salvation of this planet from harmful mythologies and horribly divisive fictional, outdated belief systems. I recommend we all read this and then move on with our lives shedding the costly weight of religion and its costs of our time and money in its wasteful, unproductive rituals.
Wes A (05/08/09)

Simplistic Illogic
As an open-minded Christian, I make a point to listen to opposing views. Dr. Dawkins theses are that since there are some great scientists who are atheists and since religious people do bad things and can be evil, there must not be a God. For such an eminent scientist there is remarkably little in the way of scientific argument. He glories in trotting out great scientists who did not believe. I could make a list of who's-who of the greatest scientists and philosophers in history who did believe. He also cowers away from facing the most compelling philosophical and scientific arguments these people and others make. The most laughable point he makes is that since believers have done bad things, religion is dangerous (no logical correlation, logic 101 stuff.) The irony in the fact that he thinks religious people are stupid and delusional while making the same mistakes he attributes to us seems to go right over his head. 'Simplistic Illogic' (new word, I like it) indeed. So easily refutable point-by-point. If this is the brightest mind the atheist worship, faith is quite safe. It is probably futile to argue with a man who denies his own soul, but it is fun.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.