Reader reviews and comments on Raising Cain, plus links to write your own review.

Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys

by Dan Kindlon, Michael Thompson Ph.D.

Apr 1999, 298 pages
    Apr 2000, 255 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Raising Cain

Robert Crawford (05/25/08)

Raising Cain
This book was amazing. I am a senior in AP Language and Composition and I chose this book for my final and I do not regret it. This book really captures the reader's mind showing how and what someone, mainly a young boy, is thinking or how he feels by his posture, his attitude, his physical expressions, etc... It really makes you think about every little thing that can positively or negatively influence a child's mind. I recommend this book to all parents or anyone who is interested in getting into a adolescent boys mind to see what he really needs.
Meli (06/27/06)

Brilliant Book...
From beginning to end, I learned something about boys. I thought the authors did a great job explainig what boys go through when they are children and later on when they become teenagers. I truly recommend that soon to be parents that are expecting a boy read this book.
MM (06/03/05)

Answered prayer
Raising Cain was recommended to me by a Masters in Counseling student/ friend of mine. She was reading it for an independant study. I've shared with her my concerns about my 7 yr old son. She casually recommended me to read this book. So that night I went to the local library and found it. I have really enjoyed it. It has helped me reflect on many questions that I have had of the male gender: Childhood/ teenage friends, husband, brothers, nephews, etc. I'm an very thankful for the information this book shared with me.

I will also consider giving this book as a gift to new Moms.

I quite often pray that God will help me to be the best parent I can be to my children. I believe he led me to this book in answer of prayer.

Blessings,
M
Jodi (04/13/04)

Mothers, Fathers...and don't forget teachers! Every parent with schoolage boys knows the horror of the notes sent home and the parent teacher conferences. We hope that the people who spend so much time attempting to educate our boys, truely understand them. Please, if you are a teacher, or know a teacher...educate them about this book.
I first read it as a required reading in my freshmen child development course. The chapter about fathers and sons, entitled Daddy, Do You Matter, is a slap in the face for every mother who thinks their children are better off without their father based on their own bad relationship with him.
lissadez (04/13/04)

I only wish that someone had given me this book when I first gave birth to my already 16 year-old son.
Why? Simply because if I knew what I know now about male emotions and how to handle them, I probably could sleep better at night knowing that I raised my son with confidence since birth. Somehow after reading this facinating book I realize that many of the case studies are so factual and real as indeed I did experience those conflicts with my son on certain occasions..... His father ..... now that is a different case scenerio... Perhaps had I left him years ago I could have been a better mother by raising him single-handedly. His father is just a forceful man himself.... TOOOOOOOO aggresive ... What was I thinking ?????????????

Knowing what I learned from this book only recently, I am certainly gooing to make IT a BRIDAL/BABY SHOWER gift to EVERYONE that know. YOU should TOO!

And take my advise .... READ IT and educate yourself before It is too LATE!
lissadez @ guam 33 years old - single mother

Text
Lilian (10/26/02)

Excellent!
For parents - mothers AND fathers!
Thank you!