What readers think of Raising Cain, plus links to write your own review.

Raising Cain

Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys

by Dan Kindlon, Michael Thompson Ph.D.

Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon, Michael Thompson Ph.D. X
Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon, Michael Thompson Ph.D.

Apr 1999, 298 pages
    Apr 2000, 255 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Raising Cain

Robert Crawford

Raising Cain
This book was amazing. I am a senior in AP Language and Composition and I chose this book for my final and I do not regret it. This book really captures the reader's mind showing how and what someone, mainly a young boy, is thinking or how he feels by his posture, his attitude, his physical expressions, etc... It really makes you think about every little thing that can positively or negatively influence a child's mind. I recommend this book to all parents or anyone who is interested in getting into a adolescent boys mind to see what he really needs.
Meli

Brilliant Book...
From beginning to end, I learned something about boys. I thought the authors did a great job explainig what boys go through when they are children and later on when they become teenagers. I truly recommend that soon to be parents that are expecting a boy read this book.
MM

Answered prayer
Raising Cain was recommended to me by a Masters in Counseling student/ friend of mine. She was reading it for an independant study. I've shared with her my concerns about my 7 yr old son. She casually recommended me to read this book. So that night I went to the local library and found it. I have really enjoyed it. It has helped me reflect on many questions that I have had of the male gender: Childhood/ teenage friends, husband, brothers, nephews, etc. I'm an very thankful for the information this book shared with me.

I will also consider giving this book as a gift to new Moms.

I quite often pray that God will help me to be the best parent I can be to my children. I believe he led me to this book in answer of prayer.

Blessings,
M
lissadez

I only wish that someone had given me this book when I first gave birth to my already 16 year-old son.
Why? Simply because if I knew what I know now about male emotions and how to handle them, I probably could sleep better at night knowing that I raised my son with confidence since birth. Somehow after reading this facinating book I realize that many of the case studies are so factual and real as indeed I did experience those conflicts with my son on certain occasions..... His father ..... now that is a different case scenerio... Perhaps had I left him years ago I could have been a better mother by raising him single-handedly. His father is just a forceful man himself.... TOOOOOOOO aggresive ... What was I thinking ?????????????

Knowing what I learned from this book only recently, I am certainly gooing to make IT a BRIDAL/BABY SHOWER gift to EVERYONE that know. YOU should TOO!

And take my advise .... READ IT and educate yourself before It is too LATE!
lissadez @ guam 33 years old - single mother

Text
Lilian

Excellent!
For parents - mothers AND fathers!
Thank you!
Jodi

Mothers, Fathers...and don't forget teachers! Every parent with schoolage boys knows the horror of the notes sent home and the parent teacher conferences. We hope that the people who spend so much time attempting to educate our boys, truely understand them. Please, if you are a teacher, or know a teacher...educate them about this book.
I first read it as a required reading in my freshmen child development course. The chapter about fathers and sons, entitled Daddy, Do You Matter, is a slap in the face for every mother who thinks their children are better off without their father based on their own bad relationship with him.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Yolk
    Yolk
    by Mary Choi
    Mary H.K. Choi's young adult offering Yolk deftly maintains several plotlines running through the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Blizzard Party
    The Blizzard Party
    by Jack Livings
    It is 1978 and the place is New York City. A massive bacchanalian party is taking place at an Upper ...
  • Book Jacket: The Light of Days
    The Light of Days
    by Judy Batalion
    Renia, Sarah, Zivia, Frumka, Hantze, Tosia, Vladka, Chajka, Gusta, Hela, Bela, Lonka, Tema, Chasia, ...
  • Book Jacket: Hummingbird Salamander
    Hummingbird Salamander
    by Jeff VanderMeer
    In Hummingbird Salamander, Jeff VanderMeer weaves cybersecurity, bioterrorism, wildlife trafficking ...

Of Women and Salt
    by Gabriela Garcia

A kaleidoscopic portrait of generations of women from a 19th-century Cuban cigar factory to the present day.

The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman
    by Julietta Henderson

A charming, uplifting debut about a mother and her 12-year-old son, an aspiring comedian.

Miss Austen
by Gill Hornby
A witty, poignant novel about Cassandra Austen and her famous sister, Jane.
Win This Book!
Win The Beauty of Your Face

A New York Times Notable Book of 2020

"Stunning.… A timely family saga with faith and forgiveness at its core."
Marie Claire