Reader reviews and comments on Sold, plus links to write your own review.

Sold by Patricia McCormick X
Sold by Patricia McCormick

Sep 2006, 272 pages
    Apr 2008, 272 pages

There are currently 45 reader reviews for Sold

Chloe

Great
At first I didn't think I would like this book, but as I continued to read I couldn't even put down because I wanted to know what would happen next. But this book is pretty mature and I think its a good choice for older teens and adults.
derryburnsjr.

sold
Its amazing in an education about a girl who fights for her mentality.
EmilyS

Real
I read this book for my 11th grade english class. Even though I was aware of sex slavery and human trafficking before, this is yet again another eye opener. Such a beautiful book that should have more acknowledgement. Does a great job of showing the truths and feelings of the women abused all over the world. It's so real, it's scary.
Taylor

Awesome
My class read this book for 10th grade world literature. To be honest I never thought I would like this book because most books teachers read are really bad, but not this one. It's just something else. It teaches you about the things that go on in India and Nepal. How girls are sold to go somewhere and the only way they can work off the debt is by having sex with some man they don't know. It teaches you a lot. And it shows you that the world is in danger. Teenage girls are in danger. This book really just shows you how much you need to be appreciative about the life you have cause the people who go through this will never know about that life.
Louise J

Sad but True...
The writing style in this novel is very unique. It is written in short vignettes making for a simple, quick, but captivating read.

According to the author, each year nearly 12,000 Nepali girls are sold by their families “intentionally” or “unwittingly” into a life of sexual slavery in the brothels of India. The U.S. State Department estimates that a staggering half million children are trafficked into the sex trade each year.

The sad thing is that, when or if, some of these girls do make it home they are ignored by their families for fear of shaming them as happened to one girl in Sold. I guess the lesson there is that sometimes being “free” doesn’t necessarily mean “being free”.

Anyone interested in joining the fight against human trafficking and the sex slave trade can visit Patricia McCormick’s website for information regarding rescuing young women. If we all helped, we could make a difference. You can visit McCormick’s website at: www.patriciamccormick.com SOLD was an excellent, well-written account of just one girl out of millions caught up in the sex trade each year.
Hayley

Beautiful, devastating, hopeful.
Sold is an eye-opening tear-jerker. Beautifully written by Patricia McCormick, It informs young readers of the devastating truth behind sex trafficking, as well as molds a bond with Lakshmi. Readers try to remain hopeful throughout the novel, while feeling a sense of suspense the entire time, knowing that some kind of horror could occur at any moment. What readers did not know, was that Lakshmi's friendship with "David Beckham boy" was actually foreshadowing the bittersweet ending. If that book doesn't make someone want to change the world, I don't know what will.
EmilyB

Wonderful Book
Before I read this book,I had no idea just how bad the Sex trafficking was in India. After, however, I felt empowered to inform everyone I knew of the injustices over sees. The first time I read this book I was 13, and have read this book 5 times since. This book has really opened my eyes and helped me to realize how important this issue really is!
Hayden

SOLD by Patricia McCormick
I think the book was a really good description of what it is like to be sold to a brothel house at such a young age. It provides vivid insight to the subject. A good read for all.

• Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U