Reader reviews and comments on Running with Scissors, plus links to write your own review.

Running with Scissors

Jun 2003, 320 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Running with Scissors

Olivia A.

Running With Scissors
This book is an awesome, exciting read and ridiculously funny. You never know what's going to happen next. It's a must read.
Kristine1975

Amazing read
Augusten Burroughs has recently become one of my very favourites! Running with scissors is absolutely amazing.I wasn't able to put it down.Hes a wonderful author and I'm thankful he decided to share his life with us. You'll fall on the floor when u read what he went through as a child.....if you love books about overcoming obstacles against all odds, you'll love this story, and you'll want to read all of his books as i have.
Jen

Shocking and Touching
I'll admit, there were chapters that made me feel almost violated because they were so grotesque. But these things happened to him...funny or appalling, things like this happen to people every day, usually not in this amount. The things that happened to him stayed in my mind all day, and I could not stop thinking about the story throughout the entire work day. This is definitely not a children's book and there are truly disgusting things that happen to him throughout his childhood. But the way that Augusten is able to draw strength from these situations, see the humor in the psychotic people and situations that popped up in his life, and the way he sums up his experiences in the end truly made the book worth it. His honesty and ability to find irony in every situation made this book funny, touching, and unforgettable.
Denise (Trinidad)

Disgusting!
This is the most disgusting book I've ever read. It is very difficult to see the humour in it. The only reason I continued reading was because it is supposed to be true of someone's life. If it really describes the author's childhood, I honestly do not know what to say. It is very hard for me to judge the author's style which I believe is probably good because I was so overwhelmed by the disgusting nature of the content. I cannot recommend this book.
Barbara

You have got to be kidding
There are very few books that once I get through them, I wish I had never read. I understand the fast-pace and the funny situations that other reviewers have noted, but I could not forget that this is supposed to be the story of a real person's life. If the adults who encountered this young man really behaved in the manner described in this book, they should be not only ashamed but possibly incarcerated for abuse. If these were the experiences of your nephew or son, would they be so funny? I wouldn't recommend anyone give it the time or validation that could be inferred from the purchase of this book.

• Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...

The Affairs of the Falcóns
    by Melissa Rivero

A beautiful, urgent novel about the lengths one woman is willing to go to build a new life.

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U