Reader reviews and comments on Beautiful Lies, plus links to write your own review.

Beautiful Lies

Dec 2006, 384 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Beautiful Lies

Ronni

Beautiful Lies a great book
Was kind of sad to read review on Lisa Unger's second novel because Beautiful Lies is absolutely excellent. It had everything a book should have and was a real page turner. Will still read sequel but know it must be hard to follow up such a great book. Anyone who hasn't read B.Lies and now is figuring out that it is a first book read it. Regardless of opinion of her second book, this book was great.
Melissa Hunt

Beautiful Truths
I always enjoy a good thriller and while this kept my attention with suspense, little romance thrown in, etc; it was the poignant remarks Unger made throughout this novel and the sequel, Sliver of Truth, which really kept me reading. I first love her writing style that makes you feel like Ridley's best friend and she's talking to you over coffee in your kitchen. Secondly, Unger has so many insights about families, relationships and our own true selves, which really hit home for me.
Gini

You've got to be kidding...
I still am reeling from this book a year later!
How this author is still pounding them out is absolutely incredible to me! After the fiasco of this horribly written book why is she still selling!
The writing is juvenile at best as she goes on , and on ad nauseum about herself, her thoughts, her feelings, explaining, and explaining, like the reader is a complete idiot, and even cares at this point what is going on anyway... I hate to even say I finished it, but I did slap myself in the end, for paying full price for it.
I don't know how the reviewers gave the thumbs up in their reviews here for this piece of work, but Needless to say I have lost any admiration for them because of it....writers beware when you put your kudos to this kind of work your readers lose heart in you, and may see you as untruthful, because you know as well as we do That this book is a stinker, and we wasted not only our good book reading time, but our money, and a little dignity!
jan

Beware, the sequel!
Nowhere in the blurb, etc, of Lisa Unger's next book, Sliver of Truth, does it mention it is a sequel to Beautiful Lies. This is unfortunate. The narrator of S of T never stops alluding to the plot and characters in her first book, taking for granted that her reader is clued in. I was constantly in catch up mode. Felt an outsider. Alienated because I lacked the apriori knowledge to fill in the gaps.

That was only part of the problem I had with Sliver of Truth and Ms Unger.

Sliver of Truth is not thrilling.

How can it be engrossing when the McGuffin is such a vile piece of work. I refer to Max. An uber serial killer, a viscious creature, not only a mother-killer, but a man who has spent a lifetime crushing his lovers' faces into pulp for kicks, is involved in the white slave market and has innocent young people knocked off in his attempt to catch up with Ridley Jones, his daughter.

And where's Ridley in all this horror? When she's not being shot at, belted up, chased, tortured by unknown assassins (never quite explains who they are...all too hard...just needed some rough stuff in there to comply with the genre) she's philosophising, ad nauseum, about her dear old dad and their lovely once-upon-a-time relationship and expecting us to feel as warm and fuzzy towards the monster as herself! Ridz works hard to make sure we ponder the question of nature versus nurture and how this efffects her.

Never mind that she stops the plot to reflect, over and over, upon this matter.

I can't comment on Beautiful Lies but people, beware, the sequel! It's a shocker. But I guess you will never get to see this review, anyway!

Pachinko
    by Min Jin Lee
    Wolf Season
    by Helen Benedict
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    Leonardo da Vinci
    by Walter Isaacson

The Dry by Jane Harper

Winner of the 2017 BookBrowse Debut Novel Award

Eternal Life
    by Dara Horn

The award-winning author returns with an ingenious novel about what it would mean to live forever.

Our Lady of the Prairie
    by Thisbe Nissen

A razor-sharp freight train barreling through the heart of the land and the land of the heart.

Win Mothers of Sparta