Reader reviews and comments on Spinning Straw, plus links to write your own review.

Spinning Straw

• Paperback:
    Jan 1999, 196 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Spinning Straw

Jill

Gave me a new perspective - and there's hope.
I have lived this story as my son is also self-injurious and autistic. My heart was breaking for Pat and her family. I was thrilled that she was able to lean on God and found things to celebrate in her situation. Their courage and wonderful attitude is inspiring. For oh how I know how difficult this can be!

I have new things to be thankful for and that is the gift that I received from this book. And I want to let other suffering families know that we found good treatment for this. We are doing neurotherapy and ABA (and some other minor things). It seems to be the right combination because the SIB and aggression has gone way down. The neurotherapy addressed those attacks that came from inside which our poor boy could not stop. ABA addressed those behaviors that were more manipulative in nature.

from an elderly woman in Liberty, NC
I cried all the way through. Spinning Staw is a classic!

Rochelle, March 3, 1999
"I couldn't put it down. Spinning Straw made me laugh, wince, and cry. It is more than a story of autistic boy. It shows a family that happens to have a child with a serious handicap. It shows their ups and downs, the emotional roller coaster of raising a handicapped child. As a mother of an autistic child, I could feel for what this family went through. However, you don't have to have a handicapped child to be moved by this book. Any parent or anyone who knows children will be touched by this book. Spinning Straw pulls at the heart strings."

• Book Jacket: Let It Bang
    by Hank Green
  • Book Jacket: Waiting for Eden
    Waiting for Eden
    by Elliot Ackerman
    Elliot Ackerman's latest novel, Waiting for Eden, follows Marine Eden Malcom as his death ...

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

Paris Echo
    by Sebastian Faulks

A story of resistance, complicity, and an unlikely, transformative friendship.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance