Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak X
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 73 reader reviews for The Book Thief

netty

The Book Thief
This book is so superbly written that I felt I knew each and every character. The only downside is that it had to end! I miss reading this book.
Rita Sessitsch

The Bookthief
Outstanding! It touches the soul. Congrats to the author. I wonder what makes a young man write a book like this. I was very surprised when I learned Mr Zusak's age.
Cloggie Downunder

very moving
The Book Thief is the fifth novel by Australian author, Markus Zusak. The setting is Nazi Germany just before the start of World War Two, through to 1943, and the story is narrated by Death. Death was decidedly overworked during the war, but he informs the reader that he saw young Liesel Meminger three times in those years before he finally took her much later. Liesel comes to 33 Himmel Strasse in Molchen to foster parents Rosa and Hans Hubermann, having just lost her younger brother, Werner to Death’s grasp. Cranky Rosa keeps the family fed with her washing and ironing service while kind Hans paints when it is needed, plays the accordion and teaches Liesel to read, all on the background of deprivation, anxiety and fear that is wartime Germany. The anxiety level rises when Max Vandenburg, a Jew, comes to hide in the basement. But the presence of this unassuming man also helps to expand Liesel’s experience of reading and of life. With her best friend, Rudy Steiner, Liesel embarks on a career of thievery, starting with apples but graduating, eventually, to books from the Mayor’s library, although her first books are acquired in quite a different manner. This much-awarded, best-selling novel looks at war from a different perspective: the effects it has on ordinary people trying to lead ordinary lives in an ordinary town. While the Fuhrer and Mein Kampf play integral parts, illustrating the use of words for evil, the emphasis is on the struggle of the common man (and woman) to do the right thing in a dangerous environment. Zusak’s characters have depth and appeal (even cranky Rosa): the banter between them often lifts the tension from serious moments with some quite black humour. Zusak is skilful with his imagery and wordplay: “He was teenage tall and had a long neck. Pimples gathered in peer groups on his face.” and “She imagined the sound of a police siren throwing itself forward and reeling itself in. Collecting itself.” are just two examples. The illustrations by Trudy White are a charming enhancement to the text. This novel has brutality, but it also has beauty. The narration style may take a little getting used to, but the reader who perseveres is rewarded with a wonderful experience. Very moving.
Dorothy T.

Very different style--keep an open mind
I cannot remember where I first heard about this book, but when I checked it out at the bookstore, I could not get past the first couple of pages. When I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie, which intrigued me, I decided to give it another chance, and I am glad I did. The author has a unique style, which I guess is not for everyone, but I liked it--could not wait to get back to it when I reluctantly had to eat or sleep.
historical reader

heartwarming
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a chilling story about a little girl that lost her brother and was sent to live with foster parents. She tells her life story through the Holocaust and her best friends that she manages to make during the holocaust. I highly recommend this book to everyone who is interested in the Holocaust.
Maz

The Book Thief
A great read! A different style. In the way Joanne Harris presents us with tastes and smells, the author paints for us with colours that relay almost as much as the words.
ILOVEBOOKS

5 Stars All the Way!
This Book makes you laugh, makes you cry, and introduces you to a new way of thinking. From it's exiting plot to lovable characters...Book Thief all The way!
Michaela Adams-Kalama

Absolutely Stunning!
This book is a masterpiece, created by the artist himself, Markus Zusak. This novel is impossible to put down once you start reading from the very first page. It's a mind-blowing story told from Death's point of view that makes you think about your own life, and it WILL make an impact in your life.
I highly recommend it to everyone, even those who don't read. It's a must read.

• Book Jacket: Your Duck Is My Duck
    Your Duck Is My Duck
    by Deborah Eisenberg
    In this collection of six short stories, Deborah Eisenberg presents characters confronting limits ...
  • Book Jacket: Unsheltered
    Unsheltered
    by Barbara Kingsolver
    Willa Knox's house is falling down. She recently inherited a Victorian residence in Vineland, ...
  • Book Jacket: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: The Boneless Mercies
    The Boneless Mercies
    by April Genevieve Tucholke
    The Mercies are assassins, part of a long tradition of killers who serve to end the suffering of the...

Code Girls
by Liza Mundy

The riveting story of the USA's courageous and accomplished WWII female American code breakers.

The Kennedy Debutante
    by Kerri Maher

"An engrossing tale of family, faith and love in the life of one remarkable woman." - Booklist

Win Gone So Long

Andre Dubus III's First Novel in a Decade

A masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

G H E Rope A H Will H H