Reader reviews and comments on Becoming Strangers, plus links to write your own review.

Becoming Strangers

Jan 2007, 320 pages

There is 1 reader review for Becoming Strangers

pointereader

Characters Big, Action Small
I picked this up for its setting--the Caribbean--because I was headed there. It was a good enough beach read: interesting characters, several lovely passages, some deep thought (nothing too strenuous), but I kept feeling like I'd already read the "big moments" of character realizations ten minutes earlier. I enjoyed the least likable characters the best because they weren't so tediously thoughtful. Perhaps it was because I was reading from a lounge chair, sipping a cocktail and taking snorkle breaks. My favorite parts were tiny bits of character description or dialogue that made me laugh, and opportunities were plentiful, what with all the alcohol and scantily-clad leisure time in the Caribbean. (I'm talking about the characters, not myself...I think.) Overall, it was enjoyable, if not remarkable.

• Book Jacket: The Wrong Heaven
    The Wrong Heaven
    by Amy Bonnafons
    The narrators of the short story collection The Wrong Heaven are plagued by critical talking lawn ...
  • Book Jacket: Southernmost
    Southernmost
    by Silas House
    Southernmost opens with a devastating flood in Cumberland Valley, Tennessee. Could it be divine ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of the Fox
    Confessions of the Fox
    by Jordy Rosenberg
    In Confessions of the Fox, a fictional academic, Dr. Voth, finds a manuscript in the library where ...
  • Book Jacket: Tango Lessons
    Tango Lessons
    by Meghan Flaherty
    Meghan Flaherty's touching memoir, Tango Lessons, reveals some hard but important truths about ...

The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

The incredible true story of the women who fought America's Undark danger.

Our House
    by Louise Candlish

A disturbing and addictive novel of domestic suspense.

Meet Me at the Museum
    by Anne Youngson

A celebration of letters, kindred spirits and writing a new story for yourself.

Fly Girls
    by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Win Vox

VOX by Christina Dalcher

The story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter in a society where half the population is silenced.

T B Y Speak