Reader reviews and comments on Holes, plus links to write your own review.

by Louis Sachar

Sep 1998, 233 pages
    May 2000, 233 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Holes

Power Reviewer Louise J (04/04/12)

Lots of Action!
This was a cute story for kids. Stanley Yelnats is accused of stealing a pair of running shoes donated to a homeless shelter to raise money to fund the program, however, Stanley is truly innocent but the judge doesn’t believe him. He is sentenced to 18 months at Camp Green Lake where he is forced to dig holes under the blazing hot sun every single day including Saturday and Sunday. The holes must be exactly five feet wide and five feet deep.

Each kid at Camp Green Lake is given a camp name and Stanley’s is ‘Caveman’. He hates digging holes and soon winds up looking for his friend ‘Zero’ after he storms out of camp into the barren lands. What they find might surprise you.

All round cute story that was darkly humorous with lots of action and adventure. Your kids will love it!
lou x (06/13/11)

holes-lewis sachar
I thought it is and was a very good book we are reading it in our English lesson and now writing Stanley's diary from the book. We haven't yet finished it but so far it is good. I don't get the part with the pig. I don't know how that is related. It confused me that bit and we had to act it out in class. Overall a very good book!
Cindy (12/31/10)

This book holes by Louis Sachar is a good book. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I felt that there were some parts that were repeated and its kind of confusing. I would recommend this book from ages 9 and up since it actually helps you understand more. I rated this book a 4 because of some parts. Yes it was a good book but those parts were the ones that the book made me rate it lower. If it didn't have those parts and went slowly, I would have loved it. :)
Mich (12/14/10)

me holes review!!
I think this is a great novel for children in grades 3 to 6.
Karli (09/25/09)

5-Very Good
AWESOME BOOK!!!!! Once I started it I couldn't put it down! It ROCKED!!!!!
Eleanor (03/15/09)

My Recommendation
Holes is one of the best books ever! If you haven't read it, go and do it NOW!!!
Elizabeth mills (02/23/09)

A Classic Story
If you like mystery this is the book for you. If you like adventure this is the book for you. Before I had stated to read this book I personally thought I was not going to like it until I got into it.
Jackson (12/04/08)

My opinion
This book isn’t a classic cowboy story. It isn’t a teen age drama either. This is a detailed story of a boy who gets him self in a juvenile camp. This author gave this book great detail. All the characters are original and unlike other characters in other books. Some are mean and grumpy. Others are nicer but still unpredictable. In the book the characters act like a normal person their age would. They would make the same choices. The main character is Stanley. He was convicted of a crime he didn’t commit. He had a choice, prison or camp. He chose what any kid would. He chose to go to camp, but he didn’t know that camp was going to be so bad.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.