Reader reviews and comments on Holes, plus links to write your own review.

Holes

May 2000, 233 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for Holes

Mich

me holes review!!
I think this is a great novel for children in grades 3 to 6.
Karli

5-Very Good
AWESOME BOOK!!!!! Once I started it I couldn't put it down! It ROCKED!!!!!
Eleanor

My Recommendation
Holes is one of the best books ever! If you haven't read it, go and do it NOW!!!
Jackson

My opinion
This book isn’t a classic cowboy story. It isn’t a teen age drama either. This is a detailed story of a boy who gets him self in a juvenile camp. This author gave this book great detail. All the characters are original and unlike other characters in other books. Some are mean and grumpy. Others are nicer but still unpredictable. In the book the characters act like a normal person their age would. They would make the same choices. The main character is Stanley. He was convicted of a crime he didn’t commit. He had a choice, prison or camp. He chose what any kid would. He chose to go to camp, but he didn’t know that camp was going to be so bad.
Stephen

Holes
The book was great but sometimes the author makes it too complex for a children’s book. But on the other side the author delivered a great message. I even had to read a few parts twice to understand the point. I also liked how the author tied the story together between the two characters.

If I was to give advice on the book I would definately tell every one to read this book. One reason I feel so strongly about this book is because I couldn’t put the book down after I started it. Usually I have to be forced to read books any way. I give this one three thumbs up!!!
Joanna Thirkettle

This book was a very good book. I very much enjoyed reading it. There was a bit of a twist in it well I thought it did! Zero I thought was the twist but I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for any readers! I would definitely recomend this book.
huyen

so good, try to read it
i have read this book 2 times, and i also like the author , mrs.louis sachar, i like every single book of her.
My favorite character was ZERO , he was a nice kid, he almost look like me, being sad
Gaurish Batra

Intriguing
Holes is a unique book with a really intriguing storyline which is told by filling in holes and giving small clues about the main character ,Stanley and his ancestors. The author jumps through time and tells stories about the predecessors while not disturbing the ongoing storyline. The story grows on you and you really can't resist completing it in one go.

• Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter