MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Arthur & George, plus links to write your own review.

Arthur & George

by Julian Barnes

Arthur & George

Jan 2006, 400 pages
    Dec 2006, 512 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Arthur & George

Roger Oldfield (01/22/12)

Arthur and George: the truth
It's a very fine novel. As an expert on the Edalji family, though, I spent the whole time thinking about the extent to which it reflects the historical record. There are points at which it departs deliberately from actual events, and there are points at which there are (I think) unwitting distortions and mistakes. For a critique of the book in these terms, as well as a comprehensive account of George Edalji's case, see my 'Outrage: The Edalji Five and the Shadow of Sherlock Holmes'.
bob (01/26/07)

Amazing historical fiction
If you enjoy historical fiction or mysteries you should enjoy this book.
This is an interesting story and well written. Mr Barnes' ability to move back and forth between 'Arthur' and 'George' is remarkable---the nuances of personality that he is able to convey are amazing. His ability to create a work of fiction from an historical story and setting is excellent. That being said, although some of the last section of the book is interesting, it weakens the overall story for me...but not enough to lessen my recommendation for a 'good read.'

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk