Reader reviews and comments on Willow Run, plus links to write your own review.

Willow Run

by Patricia Reilly Giff

Willow Run by Patricia Reilly Giff

Sep 2005, 160 pages
    Feb 2007, 176 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for Willow Run

Power Reviewer Louise J.

Excellent!!
Margaret “Meggie” Dillion lives in Rockaway, New York with her mother, father and grandfather. Her old brother, Eddie, has enlisted to fight in the war and everyone is having a difficult time coping with Eddie’s absence.

Meggie’s Grampa is German and she’s heard rumours around town that anyone German will be arrested and Meggie worries constantly about him. The fact that he has a German accent isn’t helping her feel any better nor is the fact that two older boys came and painted a red swastika on his kitchen window which Meggie removed herself with turpentine before her Grampa could see it and get upset.

Suddenly, Meggie’s father announces that the family needs to help the war effort, packs everyone up and moves to Willow Run, Michigan. Grampa decides to stay home and Meggie is very sad to be leaving him behind. Once they arrive in Willow Run, Meggie is shocked to see the horrible housing they’ll have to live in while her father works at the factory building bombs piece-by-piece.

Meggie meets Lily, Patches, Harlan and a couple of other kids who slowly form a bond during the time they’re in Willow Run. All of the kids have some family member who is fighting in the war and Meggie finds herself faced with questions about courage, and what it takes to go into battle like her brother Eddie, and to keep hope alive on the home front.

This was a really cute story for kids aged nine to twelve years of age. I had originally thought it was a novel and didn’t notice when I ordered it that it said: “...for ages nine through twelve”. It was still a really good read and rather relaxing!
Sprinkles to my ice cream!!!!!!! 3

Awesome sequal to Lily's crossing!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!
I've read this book once because it looked cool when read it a second time for a school WWII project. Still love this book always will. Lily's crossing was a little more interesting and had more cliffhangers. The part when they got ice cream was really funny. I found the original Rosie the Riveter, her name is Rose Will Monroe, she died in 1997 though. Another woman named Betty Oelke worked in the Willow Run plant in Michigan. It closed in December.
Abster

fabulous
This book will get children and adults thinking about how life is in war. Meggie shows courage and bravery, while grandfather bravely faces racism with a calm, comforting attitude. Great read!
Carly

Excellent Book
I thought that this book was wonderful and I would definitely recommend it for children and adults. It is such a heart warming and beautiful story, and very interesting too. I guarantee you will love this book as I much as I did.
caitie

willow run
i loved this book it was so good i read it twice . I love the base time and just about every thing in it .
sugarbear

back in the day
This is very interesting book. It talks about D-Day, which we are talking about in social studies. The Nazi movement was not a very good thing, but the history behind it is very interesting and and I got to read more. A child of about 12 would enjoy this book, if they like war and social studies.
allison

Willow Run Review
I think Willow Run was slow at the beginning and in the middle it started to get more exciting. If you don't keep reading the book when it get boring you won't get to the really cool parts about World War 2. I loved how every chapter would leave you hanging. I hope there is a sequel.
Mia

Average
I think this book was not bad but not good either. It was in the middle. It did help me learn about World War II though. So I would say it was helpful but not very interesting.

• Book Jacket: Rebellion
    by E Lockhart
  • Book Jacket: Jumping at Shadows
    Jumping at Shadows
    by Sasha Abramsky
    In September 2015, fourteen-year old Ahmed Mohamed was thrust into the national spotlight when the ...

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
    by Jamie Ford

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E