Reader reviews and comments on The Tender Bar, plus links to write your own review.

The Tender Bar

Aug 2006, 432 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The Tender Bar

Mark Sheehan

Manhasset Daze!
JR "nailed it" with this insight into one of the most unique places on the planet. Plandome Road, and Manhasset have long been sacred grounds for the lucky few kids who got to grow up skipping the cracks in the main street concrete.
What JR wrote reflected what so many of us... across many years of growing-up-lucky in that town, stored up and have taken away to tell our children and our children's children... Hats off to JR for a sensitive and wonderful peek in my childhood looking glass...
Sam Cario

"Measure for Measure" a masterful memoir
JR's characterizations were exceptional, you wanted to meet everyone of his bar persons.I was nostalgic when he wrote of Gilgo...the good old days. But what touched me most was the love he showed for his mother, this was truly the glue of his memoir...he kept you enthralled. THANX JR
Maya Brandon

A Great Read
Through Moehringer's honest portrayal of Manhasset, it becomes difficult to put the book down. A beautiful telling of the struggles Moehringer overcomes and those who shaped him. By the time you finish reading The Tender Bar, you'll feel nostalgic for a bar you've never entered, a town you've never known, and a journey you've seemingly just begun.
Maya Brandon

An Excellent Read
Sarah

Excellent Book!!!
Absolutely one of the best books I have ever read. I couldn't stop reading and I didn't want the end to come. From the first few sentences I knew this was going to be a great read! A book that should appeal to most anyone. I can't wait to read his next book.
Chris

Loved This Book - The Best!
On of my favorite memoirs. Not only did you get inside J.R. Moehringer's thoughts, needs/desires, but you got inside the man that grew up. His biggest asset is his sensitivity - which you could pick up on every page - even through all of his struggles. I have probably only read a few books cover to cover in a weekend, but seriously, I couldn't put this down. Funniest story was when he was coming of age. Would highly recommend to all. His mother can be so very proud of him.
Bob Cole

A delightful ad for hanging out in bars
J.R. Moehringer writes beautifully in capturing the joys of male bonding and making them part of a compelling story that will keep readers enthralled well past their bedtime. If there is such a thing as a "reading hangover" from lack of sleep because you hate to put the book aside, Moehringer is the guy who invented it.

The memoir reads like a novel and it's proof that some of the greatest stories are found in real life. The characters are fascinating and the dialogue will have readers recalling funny conversations and debates from their own lives.

Book Clubs throughout the country will have a ball debating which of its many strengths rank number one.
amy e

!!!!!!
I could not put this book down. I read it within 24 hours. (No small feat from a slow reader.) My only regret is it is over and I miss that voice of the author. The Mom is the best. Rarely does a Mom get such love and credit. I think it is one of my favorite aspects of the memoir that this women is so remarkable and her son gets it. Bravo. Thank-you. Its a big book.

• Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Book Club
An American Marriage
by Tayari Jones

A masterpiece of storytelling, and a 2018 Oprah's Book Club Selection.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U