Reader reviews and comments on Julie & Julia, plus links to write your own review.

365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen

by Julie Powell

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell

Sep 2005, 320 pages
    Sep 2006, 336 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Julie & Julia

coolcookie (08/11/10)

Julie & Julia
This book is boring!!! its like reading a cookery book from start to finish zzzz. And I like cooking!

Still reading it, have skipped lots of bits throughout. Can't wait to be finished with it.
Maybe a good book for some people but not me!
Geraldine (05/27/10)

Exhausted of Julie, curious of Julia
This book was picked for my book club and as the film had already been released I think we were influenced by Meryl Streep on the cover. I digress,I found this book very difficult.. Julie Powell is so self absorbed and moany. she tries far too hard to be witty and amusing and it just doesn't work. The book jumps from one subject to the next with some personal stuff thrown in about her pals who I don't really care about as they don't really add to the subject.I feel sorry for her hubby Paul, no wonder he takes to the bed with migraines living with the constant whining of his spouse.I did enjoy reading about Julia Child and her beloved Paul and have decided am going to Google one of her famous recipes and try it out, maybe some good has come from this book after all.
Mary A. Schmidt (03/13/10)

Disappointed.
My review I believe is much as Julia Child's was. It comes over as someone (Julie) who wants to be recognized too as someone who likes to cook and tried to cook and be like Julia Child. Julie seems to be bored with her job and in a sense her life, so this copy-cooking from Julia Child's Cook Book and doing a blog is her escape. A sad commentary!

I have the movie and LOVE it but only when I fast-forward the Julie part. It's a GREAT dis-service to Julia Child I think. The narrator obviously loves the Julie part and just seems not to believe Julia Child would not like the movie. If I were Julia Child and someone did a movie like Julia & Julie I would feel very sad. And belittled.
Mary A. Schmidt.
RosalieBABY (03/07/10)

The Best Book I have EVA READ
Greetings everyone who goes on this website.

This book was AMAZING. And I ain't no fluent reader nor spelling and writer for heaven sake I'm a 13 year old who has read this unbelievably funny and great book.

This book was so very good I even decided to cook 2 or 5 recipes with my granny and man alive were they ever good and spectacular. So in conclusion I ADORED the book.
Kris (02/16/10)

tough read
I got the book to read before seeing the movie. I'm having trouble getting through it. Spoke with a few ladies at work who saw the film and said it was cute but hadn't read the book. I don't see how the movie is anything like the book. If I make it through I'll wait for the movie on cable.
Jerry B (01/03/10)

Julie & Julia
The basic idea of the book was excellent, BUT, there are so many digressions that, well, I skipped so many that I lost count. The various love lives did not add to the story; they were MAJOR distractions. The near constant use of the "F": word got to be very annoying; didn't contribute to the understanding of the book. Some descriptions of Julia's work were very good but some were not. I may finish the book but only if many sections are skipped
preiling (09/29/09)

BORING and OVER WRITTEN
This was a very hard and boring book to read.

It reminded me of talking to a person that likes to hear themselves talk for long periods of time, but at the end of the conversation, they haven't said anything.

The only good thing about this book were the VERY small parts pertaining to Julia Childs which could be read in about 20 minutes.
Lyn (09/01/09)

Julie & Julia - such an unworthy Julia
Was looking forward to the movie and thought I would get pleasure from the book first.. Now I have little interest in seeing the movie except perhaps for the Julia part. Perhaps Meryl Streep can save it. Reading about Julie's exploits, misery, complaints and serious bad language issues has been no fun at all....her character flaws and self denigration along with everyone else's... long,boring, nasty descriptions etc. certainly work at making the reader despise her character.
Very disappointing. Sure glad did not loan to my teenage granddaughter first!

The Summer Before the War

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd rather have been talking

K Your F C