Reader reviews and comments on The City of Ember, plus links to write your own review.

The City of Ember

by Jeanne DuPrau

The City of Ember

May 2003, 288 pages
    May 2004, 270 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for The City of Ember

Janice (12/03/11)

Thoroughly enjoyed, Recommend to anyone
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The City of Ember. The storyline follows the standard tale of adolescent children who are brave and smart enough to try and solve their people’s problem. Even though the story has that same skeletal structure, the plot itself is more unique. This book is geared towards readers in the age range of the main characters, 12 years old, but I found the novel interesting enough to read in a matter of days.

There is a good amount of suspense and mystery that could provide critical and creative thinking for the young readers; as well as the possibly of gaining bravery from the main characters. I felt like there were many words that would help broaden the young reader’s vocabularies as well. The story has some good depth to it, but some of the bumps in the journey are solved relatively easily—but that is to be expected for a story for this age group. There are three more books in the series, and the end of this book left me with a desire to read the second one. There are no inappropriate parts of the story that I would be embarrassed for young people to read. I think The City of Ember is a great book and would recommend it to anyone; it’s a good story and would be an enjoyable read for many different age groups.

I would have preferred having the main characters be in their early 20’s as opposed to 12-year-olds; I felt that would have made the story seem more realistic, but that’s not the age group it was intended for, nor is it necessarily realistic.
Zach (10/16/11)

The city ofEmber
One of the greatest books I have read, for ages 9-13.
Inga (04/16/11)

Fantastic book
This book is full of surprises and it is very interesting. ;))
sajiya (09/01/10)

city of ember
I think the City of Ember is the most amazing book I have ever read.
me (05/24/10)

City of Ember
I think that the City of Ember was a fantastic read for any age!
bookworm (11/11/09)

city of ember
I haven't read this book in a while, but I have already read it twice in my lifetime and I really must say it was such an amazing book. I think that these series really captivates an audience and it makes you really want to read more. It's romantic, adventurous and thrilling all at the same time. The story line and concept and every little detail makes this book all the worth while! If you haven't read this book yet, trust me, it is VERY WELL WRITTEN. For those of you who may be Twilight fans, you will probably fall in love with this book because it has the same kind of mystery writing , if you know what i mean. It may be in the eyes of a child, but trust me it's for all. Why do you think they made a movie of it!
Maddie Woeste (10/12/09)

The City Of Ember
I thought that that book was great!!!!The story was excellent. It made perfect sense.
karli (09/25/09)

Very Good
Best book ever written. after I read it, I couldn't stop myself from reading it over and over again.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Great literature cannot grow from a neglected or impoverished soil...

The Big Holiday Wordplay: