Reader reviews and comments on The People of Sparks, plus links to write your own review.

Sequel to The City of Embers

by Jeanne DuPrau

May 2004, 338 pages
    Apr 2005, 352 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for The People of Sparks

iiunicornii (06/15/15)

The People of Sparks
The book is REMARKABLE!!! Especially the series itself.
Just start from the first book and build yourself up into this well-thought out book. BRILLANT!:)
Vanessa (11/25/10)

Then People of Sparks
I think this book is a great book for all ages. I read The City of Ember and it was pretty good. Then I found out there were more so I bought The People of Sparks and it's better then the first.
Joe (03/11/09)

The People of Sparks
This book is an excellent book for all ages. The descriptive writing and paste of this book is great. I read it and couldn't put it down. It is not to violent our gory. It was just right. I wanted tot see a little more action in the beginning but other than that this book is great!
Justin (07/21/08)

Five Star Recommendation
I chose to read "The City of Ember" for a short literary analysis essay at school and I loved it. So naturally when I found out that there were two other books in the series that had also been published I bought both of them and started reading. In the novel "The People of Sparks" it was nice that Duprau did not have to use as much descriptive language as she did in her first installment. It made sense that since the world in which the characters were now experiencing was our world, with some changes, mild description would suffice. The beginning was engrossing and a good way to start the book. Though whether this was because of how the perspective was changed or because I was just excited to read the second book is debatable. The middle became slow in parts, but this is understandable considering character development and plot building. The climax was excellent; not so nearly desperate as the climax in "The City of Ember", but definitely worth the read. I loved this book along with its predecessor, and having also read "The Prophet of Yonwood" I cannot wait for the final installment. I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves good character development and post-apocalyptic novels.
Miles (05/27/08)

Awesome book
Not as good as the first but, still a very good sequel to one of the best books I have ever read and the ending is kind of a cliffhanger so they are making a new book in the fall it is coming out and anyone who has read book 1 needs to read the whole series I just loved this book and the middle was a little boring It didn't have a lot of detail but, most important was the great beginning in the end I am going to read the third book because I just finished one and two read both those books
Bob (01/28/08)

City of Ember, People of Sparks, Prophet of Yonwood, Oh My!
Well, the climax in this book was great. Compared to Jeanne's very first novel, not so much. The City of Ember kept me hanging off of my seat, and made me read until my eyes refused to stay open. The People of Sparks was good at the beginning, especially with all of the new surroundings for the Emberites, and the beginning was a very easy-to-read thing, but as it went on, it kind of dragged on. I agree with whomever said that this book got kind-of boring as it went on, because, honestly, it did. Very good novel, great ideas, right way to go, but not enough detail put into the words, because if there was enough detail and if they would have put it in a more interesting way, it wouldn't be such a difficult book to read. Pretty good, Pretty good. I'm excited to read The Prophet of Yonwood, to think about what might happen next.
Best Regards,
Aleus: Bob.
Kiwi (04/19/07)

Pretty Good
I think that this book was much better than the first one, which had completely useless details. This book isn't the best book I've ever read. It keeps my attention but it won't keep me from putting it down. The climax was pretty good but I thought the climax in Ember was better. It makes me curious to read the next one. I would read it again, but if you're someone who'll get bored easily by easy books then this would not be the book for you.
kaisha (03/05/07)

Amazing
I think this is a great book to read!!!

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

Finishing second in the Olympics gets you silver. Finishing second in politics gets you oblivion.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: