Reader reviews and comments on The Devil's Teeth, plus links to write your own review.

A True Story of Survival and Obsession Among America's Great White Sharks

by Susan Casey

Jun 2005, 304 pages
    May 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Devil's Teeth

T.C. (02/24/07)

Good story...dumb author
When I started reading this book I was completely put off by the author's way of depicting her so-called knowledge on the matter of sharks. Myself, being quite knowledgeable on the matter of great whites, found it hilarious that an editor, not of any scientific journals have you, was telling ME about something she knew hardly about. The reason that I give this book such a high rating is the research that is given credit in the reading, and that it is not another book about "man-eating killers!" It depicted the sharks as what they are, truly awesome creatures to be respected and valued. That is as much credit as I give the author, though. Because of her stupidity and childlike obsession, she put herself and others at risk, and caused a man to lose the job that he had lived for. If you are looking for a book about bloody attacks that just perpetuates the incorrect myth about sharks, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a good read about animals that happen to be higher than us on the food chain, read this book.
Todd (08/11/06)

The Devils Teeth
This book was amazing. I've always been fascinated by Great Whites, but this book was more than that. I knew going in that it wouldn't be attack after attack and that was what was so great about it. It gave you an inside look of life on these islands and how bizzare and scary it really can be. I myself could not put the book down and I am one who hardly reads. It takes you in and you realize how different life really is on this island. I enjoyed how it wasn't just about how cool sharks were, but also talked about the other marine life in and on the island. Excellent writing by Susan Casey and overall tremendous story. If you're looking for a riveting tale of sharks and the crazy life the scientists live on this island then buy this book and you won't put it down. Excellent. Excellent.
Jon (07/26/06)

Devil's Teeth
I've read this book twice and both times I couldn't put it down. Ms.Casey's writing style is entertaining and I think the book does a great describing the islands and all the inhabitants. I didn't read it with the expectation of being scared by shark stories - you can find those online in many places. I was really interested in the people who live in such a remote place, that aspect of the book really resonated with me.

I had read about this book in a magazine and the book was exactly what I was lead to believe it was about. I'll probably read it again in the future.
Majormom (07/16/06)

The Devil's Teeth
I ran right out to buy this after hearing it advertised repeatedly on NPR during the week of July 10, 2006. I was sorely disappointed -- not in the factual, first-person, superbly edited contents (I found NO misspellings and only the perfect and proper use of semi-colons and dashes), but in the, shall we say, "meat of the matter." itself. It was touted as being thrilling! Exciting! A real page-turner and nail-biter! In short, I'd expected it to be as exciting and heart-stopping as Peter Benchley's "Jaws." I stayed up most of the night, waiting to be terrified.
Sadly, "The Devil's Teeth" is, instead, a nonfiction account of Ms. Casey's visit to the Farollones to study Great White Sharks; and the book smacks, to me, of a novice's reaction to--and romanticization of--a years-long scientific effort in the midst of rough seas, barren rock islands, and lousy weather.
Future marine biologists will love this book, as will budding meteorologists.
But I found myself quickly scanning page after page, looking for the "good parts"--subjective stories and close-up encounters with the beasts, themselves. In short, I wanted to be as scared as I was reading "Jaws."
TDT didn't even come close.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.