MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Hummingbird's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Hummingbird's Daughter

by Luis Alberto Urrea

The Hummingbird's Daughter

May 2005, 512 pages
    Apr 2006, 528 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Hummingbird's Daughter

Power Reviewer Kelli Robinson (11/24/14)

Beautifully Written
This book is beautifully written and I had the added pleasure of listening to the unabridged audiobook read by the author. This meant that each Mexican name or word was perfectly pronounced and the pace and timing of the poetic prose was set forth before me just as it was intended to be heard. As Urrea explains in an interview, this book is a blend of nonfiction (years and years of research), poetry and storytelling. This exquisite combination brings Teresita, soon to become the Saint of Cabora, magically to life in Nineteenth Century Mexico.
Risa (02/22/07)

The first half is great...
Generally, I enjoyed The Hummingbird's Daughter. The characters are (mostly) full and compelling, and the first half of the book is especially rich in detail and sharp prose. My one complaint is that the second half of the novel - which contains most of Teresita's miracles and the uprising of the revolution - seems to lose its narrative drive. In fact, the entire revolution subplot, which I thought would be a major factor in the second half, feels sporadic and at times forced to me. Still, Urrea's book is a fun read overall.

The Second Mrs. Hockaday
    by Susan Rivers

Win No Man's Land

No Man's Land
by Simon Tolkien

• Book Jacket: Ruler of the Night
    Ruler of the Night
    by David Morrell
    Amateur sleuth Thomas De Quincey is back in a mystery set in Victorian England. This time, he and ...
  • Book Jacket: A List of Cages